XLIX.

Heyyy☺️ Thanks for 6k. It means a lot😙 and I mean wow The Spoils of War was amazing😱

"I need your help." I told him as he took my arm, the two of us strolling down a trail in the gardens dimmed by bright green trees. "Now more than ever. With Tyrion being imprisoned-"

"Your parents and brother dead, and your lover highly unstable." He nodded. "I understand. You can find a confidant in me, Lady Stark. I can keep secrets for my close friends."

I was a bit taken aback by his bluntness, but soon disregarded the fact and presented him with my thoughts. "Lord Varys, I won't waste your time... I need your little birds."

"I see." He kept his arms folded, not particularly meeting my gaze as we walked along, still listening to the trees and bushes shudder around us. "In which matter, particularly, do you need my little birds?"

"I need them to find my sister."

"If it's Sansa you're speaking of, I might have an idea of where she is, but if it's Arya-"

"You know where Sansa is?" I quickly cut him off, and he nodded.

"Yes. With Littlefinger, on her way to the Eyrie. I do not know where your other siblings are, however." He gave an effortless shrug of his broad shoulders and an apologetic glance in my direction.

"Littlefinger." My hands curled into fists, and he must have noticed, because he slowed his pace, his arm tightening around my own. "Why would he go the Eyrie? Why would she go with him?"

"He plans to marry your Aunt Lysa, and Sansa to your cousin Robin when he comes of age. And... forgive me, my lady, but I don't think she trusts you."

I hesitated, before sighing and pulling my arm from his grasp, running a hand through my dark hair. He stopped walking and turned to me, shifting almost unnoticeably from his left foot to his right and back again.

"I know she doesn't trust me. She doesn't have any reason to. I love a woman whose family has destroyed our own- even after she had a part in it."

"There are moments I think I am lucky to be a eunuch." He lowered himself onto a marble bench and gestured for me to sit beside him. I shook my head, and leaned against a solid statue of a rose instead. It was also white marble. "Free from the desires of men. Desire can be a prison, you know."

"I know, Lord Varys, but it isn't just desire. Not anymore." I shook my head. "I love her, but I also love my family. Why must I choose?"

"Life oftentimes calls for us to make decisions, sweet one." He spoke, and I understood. Few truer words had ever been spoken. "And oftentimes we make the wrong decision believing it's the right one."

"But how do I know which decision is the right one?" I expressed, and he gave another graceful shrug of his shoulders.

"One of life's great mysteries, I'm afraid. But I am here to keep the secret if you do, in fact, make the wrong choice. Though I can't clean up the mess."

"Could your little birds also... keep an eye on Cersei for me?" I asked hesitantly, tapping my fingers on the marble rose.

"Anything for a friend, I suppose." He stood again and offered me his arm, turning towards the way we came. "We must be getting back soon. Is there any new incident that sparks this worry for your Queen lover?"

"No." I replied, wondering if he knew. You can never fully trust a man who knows so many secrets, I suppose.

~

As I headed back to Cersei's room- where I had left her sleeping with a handmaiden in her room and a guard in the hall- I passed by Jaime's chambers, suddenly fuming as I remembered how broken my love had looked as she wept in my arms and washed his seed from between her legs.

I made a quick decision and knocked on his door, unsure of what I would do when I saw his handsome face.

Punch it? No. Break his neck? No. Kick him in his groin? No. Cersei had specifically told me not to corner him, but here I was- putting a lion against a wall.

When he saw me, he looked just as surprised as I felt, grabbing him by the neck and slamming him against the inside of the heavy wooden door.

"I know what you did," were the only words that came to mind. "I know what you did and it won't be forgotten."

The air was knocked out of him when his back hit the door, so he just stood there choking, his hand gripping my own as his golden hand pressed against my skin, useless.

"You truly know nothing, if you think you could hurt her and get away with it." I tightened my fingers around his throats and watched his face turned an ugly shade of purple.

I grabbed the back of his jacket as I took my hands from his throat, and threw him on the floor, his hands and knees clanking and scraping against the stone.

He looked up at me, terrified, and I glared down at him, feeling powerful. Everything was happening so fast and all I could think about was the way she sobbed into my chest. She smelled of him and bloody sex.

"I don't make threats, I make promises." I told him, curling my hands into fists. "And Lannisters aren't the only one who pay their debts."

With that, I stalked out of the room, leaving him gasping for air and lying vulnerable on the stone floor.