twenty five

L o u i s

"So tell me what's going on in that pretty little head of yours." I say, leaning back in my seat. I know Grace said before that she didn't want to talk about it before, but this plane ride is gonna be pretty long, and I don't want her to be worrying the whole trip.

"Nothing." She says, although I can tell that she's lying.

"I'm not dumb. Just get it out, I may be able to help." She sighs heavily and looks down at her hands before turning to face me.

"When I went outside to bring my bags to the car, my brother was on our porch."

"Hasn't it been like, eight years since the two of you talked? How does he know where you live?" She shrugs.

"He said that our mother gave it to him, but I don't remember ever giving it to her."

"That's weird..."

"Yeah, but he just told me a bunch of b.s. about 'oh, she hasn't contacted you because she's so ashamed of herself'. But that's not it. He started out saying that she couldn't afford a flight to come see me because she owed someone a lot of money, and can't leave until she pays it back. Then he said that she's really sick and doctors don't know when or if she'll ever get better. He gave me her address so that I could go to her, but I don't know that I want to do that."

"I don't blame you." I say, resting my hand on top of hers. "She practically abandoned you, and what was her reason? She couldn't afford a kid? Don't you think that she would've realized that after having Lexi? And then, she went on to have even more children. In my opinion, she doesn't deserve to have you in her life."

"I totally agree, it's just that I know that if I don't get to see her and something happens, I'll fall apart. I'll have to live the rest of my life with 'what ifs'. And I don't want to do that."

"So you think that you want to meet her?"

"I don't know." She says, putting her hands on her face. "What I do know is that I just want a break from it all, and I plan on doing that for the next few days."

"You definitely need to relax, stress isn't good." Grace nods, looking over to me.

"Thank you for doing this, I don't think that it could've been more perfect timing." She laughs lightly.

"It wasn't just that, you know." I smile.

"I know, it's just that I think it's a little ironic that I've been crazy stressed, and now we're getting away from it all." I decide to change the subject to one that lately, I've found a little confusing.

"So when are you going to tell the twins about....you know?"

"When I know for sure. I will then, I promise. I just don't want to say anything just in case it's not true." I nod and she leans her head on the window. "It's not as easy as it was the first time around."

"That was unexpected." I say, smiling at the memory.

"I know, but it was our honeymoon. We should've expected it."

"True." I say, looking down at the ring on her tiny finger. Marrying her was the best choice that I ever made, and I'll never regret it.

"Do you ever think about how things would be if the wedding would've gone differently?" She asks, not looking away from the window.

"What do you mean?"

"Like, if I hadn't called Aaron out for what he did to me." I shrug, thinking about that day. "Do you think that we would've found our way back to each other in the future?"

"We always do, no matter what happens." She's silent for a few moments.

"I did it because of you." She looks over to me, and continues when noticing my confused look.

"Before the wedding, I was questioning my feelings. Lexi thought I was crazy." Grace says, laughing softly. "When I was walking down the aisle, I saw you and everything changed. I thought about how you always told me to stand up for myself and tell the truth, so that's exactly what I did. That's why I came clean when he scolded me for smiling at you. I thought it was perfect timing." I smile at her confession.

"I know that I say it all the time, but I can't thank you enough for always being there for me. Whether it with what happened at the wedding, or the first time that I broke up with Aaron, no matter what it was. You gave me everything that I've ever wanted."

"What's that?"

"A family."

//

I posted a new story a few days ago, please let me know what you think! tysm for reading