Chapter 34- Aftermath

I wake up to Todd once again holding my belly. I move my body effortlessly waking Todd up, he murms.

'Hi,' I say not bothering to move.

'Hi,' he sits up on the bed cross legged with the quilt tangled in his legs. I join him.

'How are you feeling?' He asks with his pitiful smile,

'Not the best,' we sit in silence, reviewing the events of last night.

Holly's contractions get slower, decided on c-section, after hours they come back out but with no baby. All holly did was constantly cry, I honestly didn't know how to comfort her.

Out of nowhere I start to cry, tears run down my hot cheeks giving me a sensation of coolness.

'Everything is going to be okay Lau' he cuddles me and I cry into his shoulder.

~

Eventually Todd and I have the initiative to get up and do something productive. I dress myself in some pink sweats and my hair is in some form of a bun. Todd's in the shower getting changed for soccer. I go into the kitchen and find one of Moms infamous notes.

"Hey Baby, very to hear the news from last night, give my prayers to her family. I decided you didn't have much if an appetite so there isn't any bread. Go to work still lau, you need every little penny :). Plus make sure Todd calls his Mom, she hasn't heard from him. I'll be working late, Lots of love Mom xx"

I leave the note on the counter and get a mug for some tea. I was really craving some coffee. But the doctor gave me this whole lecture about how caffeine hurts the baby. Then I start to wonder about the baby's health and if I'm gonna have a stillbirth... Ugh life.

I was really edging not to go to work but moms right. I really need the money. I finish my tea and go to my room to get changed.

TODD'S POV

I'm really worried about Laura, she gonna be depressed than I'm gonna be upset. Just like a circle. I have to go to umpiring then practice today, honestly ain't feeling in the mood but yeah. I grab a towel and wrap it around my waist and briefly towel dry my hair and walk out the bathroom.

And there's Laura half dressed.

'Umm hi?'

'Hey,' she says ignoring the fact were both half naked 'by the way my Mom wants you to call your Mom, the notes on the kitchen bench'

'Thanks'

'Welcome, mind zipping me up?' She asks indicating to the zip at the back of her skirt.

'Sure,' I go over to the mirror where she's standing and I see she's been crying again, it's the long smudge of mascara. I zip her up trying not to make it obvious that the skirt hardly fits her. She stares into the mirror and I warp my arms around her belly. She just stares into the reflection

'I love you Laura Ann, no matter what.' I kiss her just next to the recent hickey,

'I love you too Todd Alexander, no matter what' she turns around and kisses me back.

LAURA's POV

Todd was really sweet to me this morning despite the trauma I've had. He even went out and bought me cake, just what I like. Before work I thought I might go see holly and give her a bouquet of flowers. But her Mom answered the door and said Holly was in a 'bad' state. I guess that was common sense since she lost the most important thing, her baby.

So I went to work, not looking the best and got in early. I find Kaitlin having her break a assume.

'Hey girl!'

'Oh hey lau, I was just thinking bout you! How have you been' she hugs me and gets her coffee from the table

'Umm, okay not the best.'

'Thats no good ,' she says 'If it will make it any better, there's another party at anchor beach and I'm supplying! Your invited any day'

'Maybe, don't think I need another replay after last time'

'Oh yeah, the shots? They were crazy!'

That girl is a serious party animal.

'Okay well my shift starts soon so catch later?'

'Sure just text me Kay?'

'I will'

and from there, my shift started.

~

My shift ended around 5.30 and I still didn't have an appetite. I called Todd and asked if he wanted to eat in together or go out and he said he will meet me at home (my house). I tried Holly's again but the same answer so I just said thanks and left.

The walk home was really slow, just taking my time I guess. Once I get home Todd's here and let himself in. His keys are on the bench and he's sprawled across the coach still in his soccer gear.

'I guess we're going out?'

'Mmmm' he mumbles

'C'mon, let's get out of this hellhole and have some fun.'

'What?' He asks surprised

'Were going to a party tonight'