Pushing Buttons(5)

I was curled up in the library with a new book, totally consumed by it, I loved reading. That feeling books give you, that magical feeling that can take you anywhere in the world. My feet were tucked underneath me, I was wrapped up in a fuzzy red blanket and I had a steaming cup of tea next to me. Last night it suddenly started to snow and now the temperatures had dropped to the zeros. I honestly loved the winter; it had a crisp feeling that always nipped at your cheeks and nose. I was so into the book I didn't notice the couple who came to the library to seek privacy. The library has always been empty, it was one of the places I felt safe. Books always made me feel at home, because when I grew up alone I needed to have some form of escape and books gave me just that.

I heard the giggle first and then the soft sound of kissing, not that disgusting slurping sound, the gentle one. I could tell it was one of those soft kisses that made your toes curl. I smiled at the mysterious couple, I couldn't see them, but deep down I was a sucker for romance, I just never showed that. I enjoyed seeing people being in love it made me feel warm, knowing that in the world people are happy. I tuned them out again as I continued to read my storybook but then my mind drifted off to the place I desperately try to keep it away from. But it was to no avail, I couldn't stop it and now I was thinking.

How would it have been if Bradley actually gave us a chance? Would he be lovable? Would he be like my characters in the books? My wolf huffed in annoyance as I thought these things; it was safe to say she detested Bradley. I've heard of stories were guys reject their mates and then the girl tries to stay away from him, but her wolf forces her to get closer to him. In most situations the wolf always holds on and the human lets go, but Grey, being Grey stopped holding on the moment Bradley tried rejecting us. I admired my wolf for that and I loved her for it. I loved my wolf; some werewolves would question my sanity if I was to tell them that I loved being a lycan. I do.

My blood made me, me. I wouldn't want another wolf. Yes, Grey gets easily angered, she has murderous thoughts twenty-four-seven and her first thought is to kill anything that threatens us. But I just- that's amazing to me. Wolves aren't supposed to be these fuzzy, warm, cuddly creatures; they're supposed to be dangerous, to be killers. Wolves are hunters, predators and werewolves just dump that side of them and deny it. Where Lycans, we embrace it, we embrace what we are. And it takes a lot to embrace who you are, especially if others view you as monstrous. The giggling broke me out of my thoughts and I was brought back to the present. The smile I had on my face slowly slipped from my face as I heard them talk, immediately recognizing the voices.

"Bradley" Emily chuckled and Bradley growled teasingly.

"What?" he asked his voice husky and low. I was supposed to have that- no, you deserve better.

"I have something to tell you" she whispered and I rolled my eyes. Now Emily is not some slut or whore, she is actually a really nice girl. Before she and Bradley had this relationship we talked a bit. She was incredibly sweet and bubbly. Her mate passed away when they were sixteen so she's been alone for a while and one day she just fell in love with Bradley. So it's not like she stole him or something, she got him fair and square, so I don't hate her or anything.

"Hmm?" he asked and I could smell her joy, it was such a fluffy scent.

"Brad I love you" she whispered and I heard his heartbeat escalate.

"I love you too, Em" he whispered and for some reason I felt a slight pang in my chest. Shaking my head I got up and tiptoed out of the library and towards Matthew's office. We've gotten quite close over the past few days. Opening the door I found him listening to some guy talking hurriedly. His eyes snapped up to meet mine and he grinned.

"Kota" he smiled and the guy turned around to look at me, his eyes grew large as he recognized me.

"I just wanted to know if we're still on for tonight?" I asked and he chuckled.