Family and heart break(17)

Dedicated to brandiez stay strong girl you're precious ♡

I don't know why but Grey gave me back control just as I crashed into the eerie silence of the forest. I shifted and grabbed onto the nearest tree, the rough bark digging into the palms of my hands but that was the least of my worries. My heart felt like it was about to explode and my lungs were on fire but not from the run, but from the excruciating pain of betrayal.

It was there in the forest, alone in the shadows of the night, where I just- broke down. Every inch of my existence just splintered into tiny shards, into tiny irreparable pieces. I don't know when my knees gave in but when I wrapped my arms aroung my knees buried my face in my knees did I realize my knees had given away. Pain shot through my chest as I cried, I hate crying like this. This wasn't that gentle silent type of crying where the tears just trickled down your face.

No, this waa full on weeping, soft whimpers snuck out of my chest and I wiped the tears away. I hated those tears, they always felt too wet, too hot and too heavy, they made it difficult to breathe, to see and to stop.

"Dakota" a soft voice caused me to jump to my feet. But the person in front of me was not Ryder. The person in front of me was supposed to be dead. There was no mistake. The person in front of me was the spitting image of my alpha, the spitting image of my uncle.

"Zeke?" I whispered and he nodded. I stumbled forward before crashing into his chest. "How are you alive! I thought everyone died!" I rambled and hugged my cousin tighter.

"You have no idea how good it feels to finally talk to you" he muttered and I hugged him more.

"How?"

"I'll explain on the way we need to leave" he said and I nodded.

"Because of Ryder?" I asked and he froze.

"Ryder? As in Alpha Ryder Kingsley?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah-"

"Dakota why was he in that house with you!" He asked urgently.

"He was my mate-" I whispered.

"Shit!" He snapped and slammed his fist into a tree.

"I know he tried to kill me and all that but why-"

"Of course he would!" He said and grabbed my hand as we hurriedly ran further into the woods.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because he is the alpha of the Dark Ash pack! Did he not tell you?" He said and I froze as in froze. I stopped moving.

"He's what?" I whispered.

"He's the Alpha-"

"He- he never told me" I whispered and I felt utterly betrayed.

"Dakota we need to go. I know you're in shock but we're in danger. Ryder is not the only Dark Ash pack member here. I got rid of two but there could be more. So, please can we hurry?" He asked his eyes wide with alert and caution. It was only then that I noticed the dried blood on his hands and shirt.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we started running.

"Destrui Terra" he said and I frowned.

"What exactly is that?" I asked and he chuckled. We were making a lot of progress as we dashed over tree roots and darting between trees.

"It's basically all the destroyed Lycan pack grounds. There aren't enough of us to make a pack so we wander around" he explained.

"And Ryder let's you?" I asked.