Getting Comfortable

Martha’s POV

A red-headed woman in black clothing came into view as I said my goodbye to the Doctor. Was this the famous Black Widow Tony told me about? Her eyes gleamed an unnatural shade of blue, informing me that she was under Loki’s influence. I wondered what it would be like having someone in my head, manipulating me like a puppet. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t want to find out.

“My name is Natasha and I’ll be your training officer.” Everything was so militarised here, which I didn’t like. She looked me up and down, inspecting me. I tried to figure out what edge she was going to have and how she was going to treat me.

“You seem to be in shape, however you will need further training to become fit for your specific division.” I didn’t know whether to feel offended or not, considering she may or may not have just called me fat. She handed me a key card and a folder.

“That is a key card to your room on the 21st floor. When there are further female volunteers, you shall be sharing your room, but for now you have the luxury of having the room to yourself. There are uniforms and training gear already in the room. These are some maps for the Tower and the surrounding area and this is essentially your contract.” She emphasised the word ‘contract’ so that I knew that it wasn’t a contract but it was the closest thing I was ever going to get. Her face was as emotionless as her words and I felt uncomfortable in her presence. Unlike Steve Rogers who was stern and scary, Natasha was distant and mysterious and I couldn’t get a read on her.

“You are to report to the gym specified on your map at 1700 hours. Don’t be late.” With that, she walked over to another elevator and shot away out of my sight. After I had time to think over what she’d said, it had occurred to me that I had no idea of the time. It was one of the many joys of being a time traveller. I stood for a while looking over my options; I could ask someone around here for the time, but seeing as there was no one around, that option went out the window (plus the fact that if I were to ask anyone who happened to be about, I feared that my head would be ripped from my neck if I even were to breath in their direction), I could walk the many corridors looking for a clock but my intentions could be mistaken for snooping and being up to no good, so suspicion would be raised and my cover blown. My last option was to head for my room and assume the is some form of clock or watch in there.

I entered the lift that I had become familiar with and went to the 21st floor. After looking around for ten minutes with no luck, I found my room.

It was far better than I thought it would be, although still not exactly perfect living conditions, but I was grateful of it. It was a very basic room, like the ones in cheap hotels. There was a single bed, a desk with a lamp, a wardrobe, a set of drawers, a bedside table and a door which led into a bathroom containing a toilet, a sink and a shower. I silently thanked Tony for his designing, because if I were in a building that one of the enemies had designed, I wouldn’t be as lucky as to having these luxuries. I found it odd they even gave me this room, and one in the tower at that. I would’ve guessed I’d be put into some sort of camp, sharing showers with 50 other people. Surely I didn’t get this treatment just because I’d volunteered? I looked around for a camera but there were none in sight. I was free to talk to the Doctor and Tony whenever I liked in here. I went over to the wardrobe and found five identical military-styled suits and training outfits. There was some stationary in the drawers of the desk, presumably so I could do paper work. There were some toiletries and towels in the bathroom.

“Doctor? Tony? I’m safe.”

“Okay, where are you?” The Doctor asked.

“In a bedroom on the 21st floor. I’m supposed to report to some gym at five o’clock. What time is it by the way?” I remembered as I found a watch in one of the drawers that still needed to be set.

“It’s half past four.” Right, this gave me just enough time to get changed and find my way to the gym.

“Okay, thanks. You got any advice before I go down here?”

“Just keep quiet, don’t draw attention to yourself and do exactly as they say, no matter what it is, don’t struggle, don’t fight, just go with it.” This brought me a great deal of stress. What if they ordered me to do something  that I morally objected to? What if I was to kill someone or worse?

“Okay.” I said downheartedly.

I opened up the map of the Stark Tower which was now just called the Tower. Down the side it said that my specific training gym was the 9th Delta B gym, whatever that meant. I soon learned that the number indicated the floor, the Greek letter indicated the rank of the trainee (so as it goes up from Omega to Alpha the gyms get better and better so I had a pretty good gym) and the English letter just indicated what one it was specifically.

I quickly got changed into the black jumpsuit and set off after scanning through the contract. I found my way quite easily to the gym and arrived ten minutes early. Yet again was I greeted by no one and I started to come to the conclusion that the people here were very unorganised.

When it hit five o’clock, to my surprise, two men in uniform burst through the doors. I was expecting Black Widow but I never saw the immediate danger until one of the men grabbed me by the neck. I was caught completely off guard and didn’t even have time to fight back. Air struggled to find its way into my system as his hand seemed to solidify like cement around my neck. The first man’s intentions became clear as the other revealed a large syringe that plummeted into my neck. It stung and my I threw my arms about in self-defence, groping around hopelessly, trying to find one of them to hit. The first man slowly loosened his grip on my neck and lowered me into a lying position on the bench I was sitting on. I started choking as oxygen refilled my lungs once again. By this time, the Doctor and Tony were yelling things into my ear, saying my heartbeat had changed and there were certain things off in my body and that they could hear my choking. I couldn’t answer them as my vocal chords had been paralysed. I felt a numbing sensation spread through my body as the energy drained from me. Soon I was lying motionless on the bench, staring at the ceiling, twitching and gasping for air every few seconds. I started to feel completely relaxed as my mind drifted into a dream-like state even though I was still awake. Still, Tony and the Doctor continued to shout in my ear but I couldn’t process what they were saying. I didn’t seem to notice the men lifting me up and taking me away up to the top floor. I felt free and unconnected from the world, and I couldn’t see how much trouble I was in.

A/N: I just want to thank you all for reading and voting! You are all so amazing! As you may or may not know, I have been thinking of writing novels (non-fanfiction stories) on wattpad as well as this one and maybe possibly more fanfictions in the future if some come to mind. I would love to know what you think about this and if anyone could give me some advice in the genres of sci-fi, thriller and mystery that would be a big help J I would also like to hear your thoughts on this story so far and what you think is going to happen to Martha. I hate to leave it on a cliff-hanger (or do I?) but it’s getting late and I think what happens next would be good as a separate chapter. This has not been proofread. Thanks again <3