Not Herself Part 1

3rd Person POV

“Clint, Thor, I think you guys should go and check the perimeter, don’t want any spies lurking about knowing where we are.” Tony said. They both nodded and headed off away from the group. Tony opened the door and everyone who was left – Tony, Bruce, the Doctor, Natasha and Martha - trailed in the house. The men all took Natasha into the medical room that they were in just less than an hour ago while Martha lingered behind. They hooked her up to some medical equipment and Bruce and the Doctor set to work. Tony realised that he wasn’t of much use so he turned around to go out. He signalled Martha to follow him. She was dreading this moment the whole journey back and had been playing numerous scenarios in her head about what this talk could be about.

“Well?” Tony asked. His arms were folded and his eyebrows were raised.

“Well what?” Martha asked, not having a clue on what he was talking about.

“What’s going on? And don’t just say you don’t know what I mean.” He replied. Martha remained quiet as the only response she could think of was forbidden. He grew impatient of the silence, realising that she wasn’t going to answer.

“Alright, I’m going to have to spell it out for you,” he sighed, “Loki is the enemy.” He stated firmly. Martha had still no idea what he was inferring.

“Yes, so?” She replied. Tony let out an exasperated sigh and rubbed his forehead with his hand.

“So, he is not to be negotiated with, no matter what Thor says, he can deal with him in Asgard but for what he’s done here, he’ll see no mercy from me and if you’d been here longer you’d think the same way.” He almost shouted, he let out a breath before he continued, looking at her helplessly for a sign of agreement in her face which had the same, emotionless expression since he saw her back at the Tower. “What I’m trying to get at here is that no matter what he’s said to you, no matter how convincing it was, he’s still a murderous psychopath, and he always will be, he’s just manipulating you. If he seems like he’s not so bad, then he’s probably just trying to trick you, and I don’t want you to succumb to that.” He finished, with his voice a little quieter than before.

“Why are you telling me this? I’ve already been warned of his mischievous ways plenty of times.” She was trying her hardest not to break her cover. She already thought that she’d fooled him so she was being a little less careful than she should have been.

“Well, you seemed to be very familiar with him earlier.” Tony referenced the so-called pillow fight that he’d witnessed earlier. “And I don’t know what he’s said to you between then and when we left you the first time. Don’t let him get inside your head Martha, it’s an ordeal to get it out.” Martha almost laughed, oh if only he knew, she thought, Loki would not give up his control on her unless she’s dead, he’d worked too hard to get her under his power. The two of them stood in silence staring at each other for a while. Tony’s stare grew even more intense the more he studied her. There was something else on his mind, something about her that just didn’t seem right. He stared right into her eyes and saw the strange hint of blue in them. The idea started to form in his brain. No, it can’t be, he thought, she would’ve done something by now, but the voice in the back of his head kept pestering; but what if this is what he wants you to think? Her lashing out would be too predictable, and obviously his plan here was to be undercover.

“Martha, are you alright? Did something happen back there that you haven’t told us about? You’ve been acting weird all day.” Obviously he knew that if she was being controlled she wouldn’t tell him, but he just wished that her strange behaviour was on account of some event that happened back at the Tower and she’d tell him about it.