A Dramatic Turn of Events

Third Person POV

Loki was speechless, and couldn’t form full words never mind sentences. “Wh…What?” He breathed, with his eyes furrowed. It pleased the Avengers to see him so confused and vulnerable.

“What are you doing, brother?” Thor asked him in a kind tone. The Doctor went to go over to Martha but Tony stopped him.

“He can’t know that you know her.” He whispered to him as Thor and Loki continued to bicker. The Doctor went over to her regardless, even if he didn’t know her, he was still a good man, and doctors help anyone who needs it. He walked over to her but kept reserved, trying to hold in his emotions.

“I am not the one who is wrong, brother! I was brought up to be a king and if I was never supposed to be one then who is it that was wrong? Who was it that fed me false hope and has made me into the man you see before you?” The Doctor heard Loki snarl at Thor as he listened to parts of their conversation.

The Doctor bent down beside Martha and felt her neck for a pulse. Her skin was ice cold, but to his relief, she was very much alive, just heavily sedated, in a strange way.

“Martha, I don’t know if you know what’s going on right now or if you can hear me but I’m here, and nothing else is going to happen, don’t worry.” The Doctor whispered soothingly. He went to stroke her hair but remembered that Loki could not find out about their connection. He stood up and went back over to the rest of the group.

“Who is that girl and what have you done to her?” He asked with a serious tone, interrupting the conversation between the two brothers.

“Why, is it not true that you are a man of medicine? Surely you must know what is wrong with her?” Loki replied with a smug grin on his face.

“She’s under some kind of heavy sedation, but why?” The Doctor seemed to address everyone, not just Loki.

“The thing about that kind of sedation,” Loki started, “Is that after a short while, even though she won’t be able to move, she’ll still be able to understand everything around her. That should be right about now.” Loki explained, as he directed his gaze to Martha. The others did likewise and watched as her body started twitching, and she made frustrated grunts and sharp, hollow breaths.

“Ah yes, they usually do that.” He remarked, unaffected by Martha’s sudden state. The Doctor ran towards her in alarm. “Do what? They usually do what?” He spat out.

“Go into shock… humans, they’re so fragile.” Loki stood up and went over to a desk and pressed a button. The two Avengers watched him closely ready to make a move.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” He advised. “I can’t have you running about thinking you own the place, after all, you are in my building-”

My building.” Tony interrupted.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Loki scoffed. “But who is in control of your pathetic little world, and therefore every building in it?” He asked coldly. Tony averted his gaze from Loki in defeat.

“Brother, if this world is as pathetic as you say, then what does that make you?” Thor started again. Loki’s expression changed in an instant. He was no longer smiling or laughing, he was furious. He struggled to find the right comeback. “I am the best thing for them. I have bettered their lives; they have meaning now and are no longer pathetic!” He roared at Thor, dragging out the last three words. “Your puny race needed to be ruled, I simply took it upon myself to take the position. You see, you were made to be ruled-”

“I’ve heard enough” Tony’s patience got the better of him and he shot a missile at Loki. He flew back several metres and left a large hole in the ground. He moaned in pain, but then started laughing. “Oh you shouldn’t have done that” He chuckled.