To Battle

Martha’s POV

Tony had spent the rest of the day developing his ‘bugs’ with Bruce and the Doctor, Steve, Clint and Natasha went out to try and help as many civilians as they could before the final battle, as Clint had been doing the whole time, before they all reunited. That just left Thor. I alternated between exchanging stories with him about our planets’ customs and reading human anatomy books. It had been a while since I’d thought about this stuff since being with the Doctor didn’t really require me to do much doctoring. It was strange reading those books and being in a practice again - even though I work in a hospital. At this point I wouldn’t have minded going back to Earth and living like a normal human. As much as I love the Doctor, he doesn’t even see me, not in the way I see him. And I’d much like to leave this place. Even with its superheroes, I’ve been through a lot and just want to go home.

The next morning was very rushed. This was it. The day when we either took down Loki or failed miserably, but I like to look on the bright side. I sat away from the Doctor because I was still mad at him, but not too far away where I couldn’t hear what was going on. I felt stupid for sulking in this way but my moods had been messed up lately and if I was to be treated like a child, then I would act like a child.

“Right, this is it, you all set, Stark?” Steve questioned. He was wearing his full Captain America suit. I couldn’t tell if it was ridiculous or attractive. I settled for ridiculously attractive.

“Yeah, here.” Tony replied giving Steve and Natasha a capsule each. “These contain the bugs, just punch them into the wall, a bit like a staple gun.”

“Good luck.” I said, looking between Natasha, Steve, Bruce and Clint. I did really want to watch Bruce turn into the Hulk - it sounded terrifying - but there’s no way I wanted to be within his smashing range.  After they left, there was only Thor, Tony, the Doctor and me. I kept asking if they needed me to help anywhere but I was rejected. Tony even had the audacity to ask me to take through his empty mug of coffee and make another for him. Reluctantly, I took his mug through to the staffs’ ‘kitchen.’ Luckily there was a coffee machine in there. I went to the sink to rinse it when something inside caught my eye.

It was a tiny little device. I picked it up and held it out in my hand, it was no bigger than a pinhead. There seemed to be a little button at the top, so out of curiosity, I pressed it.

I thought my eyes had deceived me for a moment. Did I just disappear? As I pressed it in, my whole hand seemed to whip out of sight. I pressed it in again, but for longer. My hand did disappear. I was amazed, but it wasn’t only my hand. I held up my other hand but couldn’t see it. I looked down at my feet and I couldn’t see them. I was invisible! Had Tony accidently put this in his mug? No, of course he wouldn’t. So he intended for me to find this. He meant it when he said he wanted me to help take down Loki. I started to smile. I could get out and help the Avengers. Be an Avenger. But I had to come up with a plan so that the Doctor wouldn’t suspect me.

I went through with Tony’s coffee and gave him a subtle nod and he gave one back. I could see that the Doctor was busy. He was running about, waving his sonic like the madman he was, so an excuse to disappear for a while didn’t need to be complex. He wouldn’t be listening or thinking about it that much since his mind was on other things.

“Doctor? I’ve got a bit of a headache; I’m going to lie down for a bit.” I said as casually as I could.  He replied with an “Mmhhm,” and didn’t even look at me. Excellent. Just what I needed. Even with his super senses, he won’t be able to tell I’m sneaking past him when he’s concentrating like that. One day I had to punch him lightly on the shoulder just so he’d notice that I was there.