Marvel Whoniverse

“If we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we’ll avenge it.”

Martha’s POV

“So, where are we off to next?” I asked. The engines of the TARDIS whirred and whooshed as the Doctor pressed on random buttons and pulled leavers. “Planet Krypton. Destroyed 600,000 years ago when the planet exploded due to the pressure in its core. The remains of the planet turned into Kryptonite, you can still see some of the green crystals floating around where Krypton used to lie. It’s become a tourist attraction now though, it’s like whenever you go to visit a deserted castle, you’re staring at something that used to hold so much life, all gone now.” I stared at the Doctor. Was he serious? Krypton, home of Superman was real? “They’ve got a little space station nearby, takes you on tours, has a café and a little shop, it’s nice, they’ve got nice scones.” The Doctor looked back at me and burst into hysterics at the expression on my face. I let out a frustrated huff, “Doctor!”

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” he chuckled; obviously amused that he’d got me for a minute. After his laughter died down I asked him “Doctor? Could you ever get superheroes?”

“Well it depends on what you mean by superhero,” was his response, “You could argue that some of the well experienced medical staff or soldiers are already heroes, all they really need is a costume and fame to be known as a superhero.”

“No, I mean like Superman, could you ever get someone with lots of strength or can fly, or get bitten by a radioactive spider and suddenly all their genes mutate and they can climb up walls and shoot webs from their wrists?” I was extremely curious about this subject ever since the Doctor had taken me into the future and showed me a whole new line of cinema with the possibility of Superheroes.

“Not really, maybe in a few years humans will invent a serum that will enhance all of your human qualities but in comic books, they’ve took an idea and exaggerated it, for example you’re more likely to become ill being bit by a radioactive spider than become Spiderman.”

I decided to stop talking as my dreams had been silenced by logic and reality. “Not in this universe anyway.” He stated finally, and I quickly filled in the silence as another thought popped into my head. “You’re quite like Superman, Doctor, if you think about it.” He turned to me with a confused expression on his face. “Really? How so?”

“You’re the last of your kind, your home planet has been destroyed, you can’t die as easily as humans, you always stand up to injustice and you always save the day.” He replied with a nod and a short “hmm” feeling good about what I’d said and agreeing with it. He flew the TARDIS with a smug smile on his face, the last thing I wanted to do was give him an ego boost. “I’m Superman!” He remarked to himself with a grin just before there was a loud crash. I fell to the floor as puffs of gas exploded out of the TARDIS’s console. I was thrown around the TARDIS as the Doctor struggled to get to his feet, frantically pressing buttons as he did so. “Doctor what’s happening?!” I cried out as I managed to stand up. I climbed over to the centre of the TARDIS as he looked worriedly at the screen in front of him. “The Time Vortex, it’s…but that’s impossible I closed off all the…we seemed to have fallen through a rip in the vortex, fallen through a hole, outside the universe, into… something else…”

“What?” What does all this even mean? Is that even possible? “What else exactly?” The thought gave me chills. We’re outside of the universe, what could we have fallen into that’s outside of the universe? “I’m not sure if it’ll be the same this time, but…last time it was a parallel universe, where Earth is similar but there are some things different about it.”

“Last time?” This had happened before? Obviously it can’t be that bad then if this has happened before, because the Doctor got out of it, he was standing in front of me. The Doctor looked at me with worry and I was sent off my feet again as there was another crash before he had the chance to answer. The TARDIS stopped and seemed to have landed somewhere. But where?

The Doctor was straight up. “Rose…” he murmured, staring at the door. It all made sense now. Rose got trapped on a parallel world and now I was about to meet her. Great. The girl he never shuts up about is back. Now he’s going to drop me back off home when this gets sorted out and go off with her, just the two of them.

He bolted for the door, grabbing his long brown jacket and throwing the doors open while I got to my feet. As I walked out, he stood there, staring at the landscape. It was a wasteland. Dried muck and dead grass lay under our feet and a few burned trees surrounded us. As I looked beyond the trees, I saw destroyed skyscrapers, barely standing, and streets covered in rubble. I saw a sign that used to say “Welcome to Central Park” but was now covered in illegible graffiti, random shapes that looked almost like an alien language. 

“You didn’t leave her here, did you?” I remarked as an ice-breaker but was also genuinely curious, because maybe I’ll be in this situation one day, who knows where traveling with the Doctor will lead me. He just shook his head, not amused by my remark, as he kept his eyes focussed on the area around him, inspecting for danger.

“Get back in the TARDIS, it’s not safe here.” He said gravely and turned around.

“Really, what was your first clue?” I sarcastically replied with a smile on my face, but it was wiped clean off when he stared at me sternly. I went to turn but suddenly a raspy moan came from beside me.

The Doctor shouted for me to run and grabbed me by the arm but I wasn’t quick enough. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blue flash and heard a very loud bang. I fell to the ground, unable to process what had just happened. I finally caught a glimpse of the creature that pursued me. It was definitely not human. It wore gold armour and had a pink fleshy face. It had a long spear that glowed blue and little blue spheres attached to its armour. As the light faded, I heard the Doctor’s muffled cries and a large laser sound as the last thing a saw before I blacked out was some sort of gold and red robot fly in at my aid.