All Is Not As It Seems

Tony’s POV

I never thought she’d have it in her, but she had no choice. Much to my annoyance, I had to leave Martha with those psychopaths, but she played her part so well that it would have been a waste if we took her back with us. However, I was still unhappy about it. She was in way more danger now and when the Doctor is back on his feet he’ll not be too pleased that we left her either, even though she’d just shot him. But he doesn’t know…

I overtook Thor as he obviously had no clue of where to go. I headed for my small, hidden apartment that I’d found after the invasion. It was a few miles south of the Tower, so it was a quick flight. I had medical room set up but it was no hospital, and I was no doctor. I couldn’t help the Doctor and I had no doubts as to Thor’s uselessness. I was counting on someone else, someone who, up until that arrow shot, I had no hope of finding. If Hawkeye was here, then Bruce was sure to be nearby.

We put the Doctor on the medical table and Thor put pressure on the wound while I hurried about, searching for painkillers. I hooked him up to the equipment but I had no idea if anything was going to work on him, he did mention he was from another planet.

“Heart rate normal, sir,” JARVIS started. “In fact, he seems to be functioning normally.” Thor’s confused gaze suddenly shot up at me.

“How can he be normal if he has a bullet in his heart?” He questioned. I ignored him and turned back to JARVIS.

“Is he functioning normally for a human? Is his heart rate that of a human?”

“Yes, sir.”

“JARVIS, this is the man who was in earlier, he isn’t human. Look up the data you have on him from earlier and compare it to his condition now.” I ordered. I was fed up with this war. I wanted the Tower back. JARVIS didn’t malfunction or miscalculate at all there, but here in this normal human house, he wasn’t always so reliable.

“Two…hearts…” The  Doctor moaned. He was still conscious but was fighting hard. I had a feeling he was fighting something else however. If he had two hearts and was functioning like a normal human, then why was he under so much strain?

“You have to get the bullet out,” he breathed, “if it stays in there for much longer I’m going to go into regeneration, and I don’t want that, I’m fighting it off just now which means my body is slowly dying. If you get the bullet out I can just use some of my regenerative powers to heal my heart and not my whole body, so I’ll be right as rain in a couple of hours, but you have to get the bullet out now.”

I’m no surgeon. How was I going to get a bullet out a man’s heart? I looked at him helplessly but a saw a trusting look in his eyes and realised that I am Tony Stark. I am a genius and I can do anything. I’ve synthesised an element in my house for crying out loud! I nodded at him and ran and got all the tools. I’d dosed him up with anaesthetics, washed my hands and put the gloves on. I had the scalpel in my hand and JARVIS and the Doctor to guide me in what I was doing. I tried hard to steady my hand as it moved towards the large hole in the Doctor’s skin. I was slightly taken aback by all the blood. Just as the knife was millimetres away from the wound JARVIS’ voice rang.

“Sir, there’s someone at the do-” Before he could finish, who else would it be but Bruce waltzed in the door.

“You guys really should walk more often, makes it a whole lot easier for a guy to follow you to your secret lair.” He joked. I sighed in relief at his appearance. He took a step back once he managed to examine the scene he’d just walked into. “What’s going on?” He was now serious and put his glasses on. He washed his hands and put gloves on instinctively.

“Doctor Banner, I believe you were just about to save the day and perform heart surgery on our friend here.” I motioned towards the Doctor, “he’s been shot-in the heart apparently-but don’t worry, he’ll be fine, he just needs the bullet taken out.”

“The heart? Fine?” Bruce repeated in shock. “How come he isn’t dead yet?!”

“Oh charming!” The Doctor grunted. Bruce continued to stare at him in bewilderment.

“We have been informed that he is of another world.” Thor stated, a serious expression plastered across his brow.

“Well how do you expect me to know any more about him than you do? You’ve obviously known him longer.” Bruce waved his hands about, although he still had that calm edge that I always known him to have.

“Bruce,” the Doctor breathed, “all I’m asking you is to take the bullet out and stitch me back up…that’s all…you can do that, right?” The Doctor looked at him reassuringly and Bruce looked back with uncertainty. There was silence for a few seconds before Bruce agreed.  He came over to where I was standing and took the scalpel off of me. He approached the Doctor when his skin started to tinge shades of orange, yellow and gold.

“What’s happening?” I asked staring at his glowing body. Everyone else did likewise, waiting for an explanation.

“I’m starting to regenerate, Bruce I can only hold back the process for so long, you need to hurry, save your questions for later, there’s no time just now.” Bruce only nodded and ushered Thor and I out of the room to wait in the lounge. This was a great time to find out why he’d abandoned us.

“So, what happened to you when you went up to Asgard? You said you’d come back, and well, it’s been two months.” Thor looked at me with a guilty expression on his face. He sat forward on the edge of the sofa and clasped his hands together.

“Well,” he started as I leaned back in my chair, crossed my legs and folded my arms, ready to listen to his excuse…

. . .

Martha’s POV

Dear god, what have I just done?

It was all such a blur. Loki kept telling me to shoot the Doctor but how could I? I dragged it out but I knew I couldn’t stall much longer. I saw Tony’s face telling me to go through with it, motioning with his eyes. He looked at me, then the gun, then to the Doctor and then back to me. I stood there with the gun in my hand, pointing it at him. I saw his face and it broke my heart to see him so…so scared and lost. He looked at me as if I was beyond hope but if only he knew. What is he going to think when he finds out I wasn’t under Loki’s influence-that I never was. I shot him. Knowingly. And it’s killing me. I had to stand there and shoot my best friend without letting the agony show. Tony had given me a special gadget before I left his house and set on this awful journey. He said that I was to place it in front of my chest area and it would protect me from being manipulated by Loki , but it would still give the illusion that I was. He said if he ever tried to do that, he had to know that I was his to control. I had to do everything he told me to and he put emphasis on ‘everything’. I would be better off being controlled by him, and then I wouldn’t feel this guilt that plagues me and makes my heart ache and my head scream. But sometimes I think that it was okay that I knew what I was doing, because I only shot him in one heart. If I was under Loki’s spell, I knew I would have shot multiple times, or even in the head so he didn’t have a chance of coming back. Loki doesn’t know he has two hearts-he has probably guessed he’s not an average human-but he doesn’t know he has two hearts and I left one of them functioning. There is still a bit of hope left-for the Doctor at least, who knows what will happen now. All I remember is an arrow shooting through the glass and hitting Loki right in his side, and then everyone who I felt was keeping me safe flew off in a crazy panic and the room was sent into chaos.

*A/N: Hey guys it’s been so long, I know! I feel really bad for abandoning you guys but I had a lot of books to read these past few weeks, and I mean A LOT! I’m reading most of the Sherlock Holmes books and I have to compare it to the TV show. I’m not complaining, I mean at least I’m doing something I like but it’s just a hell of a lot of work and I’m not getting a lot of time to do anything else. Anyways, I’m not completely finished the project until the end of next week but I felt like you guys deserved an update. I hope you like this chapter, it’s not as long as I would have liked it to be but hey what can you do? Bruce came back! And Martha kind of meant to shoot the Doctor…. Whoo that’s an awkward one… Well I just want to thank everyone for reading and commenting it means a lot. Please keep reading and commenting and voting and giving all your love, thank you to all my new followers and readers <3 J This has not been proofread.*