A Conversation with the Devil

Martha’s POV

I stood in the elevator, alone. I fiddled with my earpiece so I could talk with the Doctor and Tony before I reached the top floor. “Hello Doctor? Tony? Can you hear me? Is this thing working?” I had completely forgotten about it until now. “Martha, are you alright? Why didn’t you contact us sooner?” Even though he seemed angry, I could hear the hint of relief in the Doctor’s voice.

“Stuff just happened really quickly, one of those things hit me and I was out cold for a while, then I’d completely forgot about the earpiece when I woke up and only remembered just now. Besides, I didn’t exactly have much privacy.” I explained while I remembered the past few hours.

“See told ya’” Tony’s smug voice rang, and I could tell that through the silence the Doctor was making a face at him, and even with the short time I spent with Tony, I guessed that he made one back.

“Anyway, I’m just about to go and meet Loki, if anyone’s interested.” The numbers on the lift lit up as I passed each floor. My time was growing thin as I was nearing the top floor. “So I won’t be able to talk for a while, but you’ll hear what’s going on, right? So, if anything happens…you’ll be there, right?” I had no idea what he was going to be like, I only had the other volunteers’ rumours to go on and they weren’t exactly much. How was I to act in front of him? How will he be? Intimidating? Charming? Mysterious? Cold?

“Right.” I heard the both of them say. I stood in silence watching the numbers on in the elevator rise when a disturbing thought popped into my head. “Tony, does your lift have CCTV?”

“Yes, naturally.” I felt dizzy for a moment but there was still a tiny bit of hope left.

“Does it record sounds as well?” I asked closing my eyes. It seemed pointless but I couldn’t help but grimace at the thought of Loki hearing everything I’d just said. “No. I couldn’t be bothered installing it, I planned to after it was built but I never got round to it.” A wave of relief spread over me and I got back my bearings. All they saw was a nervous girl talking to herself nervously before she met Loki and ‘scratching’ her ear-all signs of anxiety.

I had just caught my breath back when the doors opened. I took a small step out of the lift cautiously and scanned the room. I couldn’t see anyone. I edged in more until I got to the centre of the room but still couldn’t see anyone. I stood awkwardly for about a minute before I heard a voice fill the room.

“We don’t get many volunteers.” I jolted at the unexpected remark. I turned around on the spot to see a very tall, pale man with dark clothes and even darker hair enter the room. “What made you so enthusiastic to join this side on your own?” He walked towards me.

“Well, if you can’t beat them, join them, right?” His smile grew wider at my remark. “Yes. Indeed.” He was right in front of me now, inspecting me.  “What do you want to achieve out of your work here for me?” His voice was calm and was very well mannered. I nearly felt comfortable in his presence if it wasn’t for the mad look in his eyes. He stared right into me, reading me. I felt worried as to how much information he was getting off me.

“Not to die.” I replied. He chuckled lightly to himself and walked over to the large glass window. “I can’t make any promises.” He stared out at his empire. I tried to keep a cool attitude, to show him I’m not scared of him even though I was. “I wouldn’t expect you to.”

“You are a fearless mortal, I’ll give you that. What’s your name?”

“Martha Jones, sir.”

I heard Tony’s voice through the earpiece reminding me that I’m supposed to be on his side. “Well Martha Jones, I think there must be another reason, a deeper reason as to why you volunteered yourself so wholeheartedly.” He raised his eyebrow at me, expecting an answer while I stood frozen on the spot, half worried that he’s caught on to my plan, half desperately trying to come up with a suitable lie. I needed to come up with a reasonable lie and act like it was the whole truth, because if there’s anyone in this area who could smell a rat, it would be Loki.