What's Karma even?

(Chapter 42)

*Alyssa's POV*

I was shaking from anxiety and trepidation. What's wrong with my life? What did I do to make Karma hate me? Whether Karma was a bitch or not, this was extreme. Where was my life heading? Oh wait I know, I know! Straight off the cliff on Mount Everest. I stood, chewing my lip shooting my head between Adrian, Kira, Trystan and my parents. Someone would think this was a freaking reunion. There was silence until my father turned to me, his eyes ablaze and wary. I cleared my throat, searching for words. What could I say? Oh nothing big dad, just the fact that I kissed my best friend's ex when they just broke up and screwed up with the player, Adrian (who by the way is the same guy that crashed into mom's car and you started hating after he snuck me off to Venice) and I let in one of the bitchiest sluts in school into our house. Yup, no biggie.

All eyes were on me now. I took a deep breath in anticipation. "Dad, Mom. I know this is the worst time to say this but please, just trust me. Just this last time, I know I messed up but I have to explain to my... Friends, some stuff. And sort everything out" I said it too fast but everyone heard. My mother opened her mouth but it was Adrian who spoke in a cold voice that pierced my heart like a sledgehammer. "Oh, I think everything's sorted out and you don't need to explain anything Alyssa." He stormed to the door and slammed it shut behind him, making me wince. "Fuck, I'll go pacify him." Kira sighed in annoyance and my mother flinched when she swore. "No, I-I let him go too many times. I should follow him" I walked hastily to the door and met my mother's eyes. She shot me a warning glance and I knew that she was telling me that if I stepped out of the house, she would never forgive me. But I had to. Because I didn't care about anything else in the world now. Not even Pizza. It was time to chase the bad boy.

I jumped down the steps, off the finely cut grass and onto the pavement. I saw Adrian walking up ahead, his usual confident manner gone and instead he slouched slightly, his hands driven deeply into his pockets. "ADRIAN!" I called and jogged after him. He turned slightly but made no effort to come closer. His eyes were hard and his body turned rigid when I came closer and I pushed the hair out of my face. "Wait" I said. He shrugged. "Whatever, Alyssa. I'll learn not to care and someday I'll laugh at myself for even making a big deal about this. So, until then, Adios I guess." His words stung me and I missed him calling me Cinnamon. My name just sounded so foreign out of his mouth.

 "But-But. What if I don't want to get over you?" I whispered. His eyes flashed with something I didn't recognize. "Don't you get it now?" He burst out and I flinched. "You don't NEED to get over anything! I'm the one who does. I'm the stupid one who confessed my damned feelings to you and got nothing in return. I'M the one who fell for you when I'M the one who's supposed to be the player. You have Trystan and I saw how comfy you two got when I wasn't there." He spat out and threw his hands up in frustration. I took a step towards him. "But don't you get it now? I never felt the way I felt about you, to Trystan. I never got jittery or electrified when I talked to him. I never smiled the way I smiled with you. I never felt the way I felt like when I was with you!" I shook my head like he was the one who didn't understand.

Adrian looked at me, his eyebrow raised. "What are you saying?" I fought the urge to curse. "I'm saying that on the plane, everything was a blur. I thought I was going to die and never touch the ground again. I was scared. I felt like I had been stuck right into a movie when the supposed hijack happened. When you told me you had feelings for me.. I-I didn't know how to answer, the words just wouldn't come out. Blame it on the situation, Adrian. I never meant that I didn't have.. Feelings for you" I explained and rubbed the ground with the tip of my pair of Vans. "So.. You never liked Trystan? You-You feel the same way.. About me?" He asked quietly. There was only an inch separating the two of us now.

I nodded slowly, the sound of cars zipping past us and drunk adolescents cackling and wailing in one of the neighbour's houses. There was a party going on nearby. "Pffffftttttt, I hateeee youuuuuuuu" A drunken teenager drawled and pointed at another blonde boy and they staggered on the lawn of the house singing Yankee doodle in a tune that made it sound like they were at a funeral. I fought the urge to laugh. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my fifteen year old neighbour, Charlie getting scolded by his mother for not answering her calls. I didn't want to find out what he was doing. I pushed my attention back to Adrian who took my face in his cool hands. "I love you, Adrian" I said quietly and despite the dark, I caught his small smile. "I love you too Cinnamon"

It was my turn to make the first move. I stood on my toes like in the movies and wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing my lips closer to his but he stopped me gently. "What?" I pouted consciously, trying to hide my embarrassment. They definitely didn't show it like that in the movies. "Nothing, I just want it to be special" He stated with a grin. "What do you mean?" I asked. "I mean look at this place, not very.. Romantic is it?" He gestured to the drunk teenagers stumbling and babbling at the neighbour's house. It was our first real kiss excluding the one at the party to act like we were dating. I rolled my eyes. "It's not the place that needs to be special. It's the feeling" I said and pulled him closer and kissed him. It took a beat to find our rhythm and sync and we kissed under the light of a streetlamp, that had just lit up on time and to the din of an out of control party. No romantic music besides the nursery rhymes that were being sung off tune by the drunk teens but we didn't care. Like I said, only the feeling mattered.

***

Karma. Everyone says it's a bitch. They say it's ruthless and cruel. But the truth is it can be an angel. Can be the best thing that happened to you. Can be the dove on a stretch of endless sea, relieving and joyous. It will be whatever you are. It'll be your reflection and your push forward. It will matter on you and only you.

I stroked Adrian's smooth hair with my right hand as he lay in my lap as he caressed my other hand. We were sitting on the beach, lights on the Golden Gate Bridge shining bright like a faraway star. Adrian and I had drove to the beach for some quiet time. Neither of us were in a hurry to get home. I knew that once I reached home, I would have a huge lecture, an entire interrogation and yelling from my parents. It was late in the night and the only sounds were the crickets chirping and the luscious waves backwashing along the shore serenely and the scent of sand and salt wafted through the air, filling my lungs. The crests and spumes of billows made the waves look like white horses charging towards us at the shoreline but disappearing into a frothy dark mass as it reached the sand. We couldn't see the blue for it was too dark, instead the water looked black like an empty void of oblivion. This was my escape from reality. From parents, drama, school and life in general.

I shut my eyes and let the wind blow my hair off my face and brush my cheeks, leaving my skin tingly with the chill. This was where I wanted to be right now. Nowhere else in the world. Just here on the comforting sand with Adrian Skyler. Because like I said, it didn't matter where we were, Venice or San Francisco, Germany or Japan, Australia or India, Antarctica or Canada, as long as you're with the person you love the most, you'll be in the most beautiful place ever.

A/N

Well, that was.. deep, oh my god.

Honestly, I don't know why, I should probably go check my music playlists again. *smiles innocently*

Sooo, moving on from the deep shit and dramatic phase.

The ice is melting. And read on to uncover what happens next.

Vote and Comment please, I love you and if you ever need anything.. Well, I have something called an 'inbox' for a reason ;) Feel free to drop into it and leave me a message. Ily xx

Media as Cameron Dallas

Sending all my love to my readers/Unicorns,

~The Unicorn In The Rain ~You're my galaxy and all my stars together~