Under Pressure

The transition from my old flat to living with Paul was relatively smooth. I had just finished a lesson with Vivian and was looking forward to a relaxing evening in my new home on Cavendish Avenue. My plan involved a long bath (hadn't decided on if it would be alone or with company at that point), a book, some piano, and puppy play time. There was also a batch of strawberry jam tarts Sam's mum had baked for me that was calling my name.
I parked and had every intention of ignoring the gate birds' jabs, however, I heard my name called out and curiosity got the best of me.
I walked to the gate and stepped outside.  A young girl, no more than 15, with red hair held out a pen and a news paper.
"Would you sign this?" she asked, "It'd mean so much to me..."
I was a little surprised. But obliged, I glanced at the article. It was the interview from a couple weeks previous.
"Don't you want Paul to sign this luv?" I laughed slightly as I signed my name below a photo of Paul and I sitting on a small couch just as the interview had started.
"I would...but I wanted you to sign too...I... um...my dad used to hit me...a lot..." she stuttered. I looked to her...I immediately felt sympathy.
"Not nearly as bad what you've been through...but..."
"If you were hit, it's bad. I understand" I smiled warmly "Has he stopped?"
"Well, no...I had to live with my Auntie..." she admitted.
"Well then, you're away from it all aren't you?" I said handing her paper back.
"Yeah...just one more thing," she bit her lip "Does it ever get easier?"
I thought for a moment...it was a hard question to answer.
"It takes time, but yeah...it does" Much as I wanted to invite her inside for a cup of tea, I really needed my time alone, plus I didn't want to on a lark, invite a fan into the house.
"Tell you what luv," I said quietly "Come back tomorrow...I'm sure you can get Paul's signature then...and don't you tell a bloody soul, yeah?"
Her eyes widened.
"Really?" she smiled
"Keep it down," I hushed her "What's your name then?"
"Molly"
"Pleasure to meet you Molly" I smiled before I turned and was back on my way inside.

Once inside I kicked my shoes off, hung my coat up and made my way to the kitchen with a small puppy biting at the new found enemy of my stockings.
"Angus, down!" I laughed. Paul wasn't home, however, there was a copy of the paper with the infamous interview sitting on the table along with a note

Tilly,

You were brilliant luv!
I'm working on some songs with John, I'll be home later this evening.
I've got something I want to ask you when I get home; I think you'll like it.

Paul

There was also a jam tart sitting nearby the note. I was extremely curious what he was planning to ask me and I knew it'd be weighing on my mind until he was home. I shook my head and smiled. I bit into the jam tart and started toward the stairs. The phone rang, thinking it might be Paul, I decided to answer.
"'Ello?" I said into the phone
"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!?" a voice yelled at me. I recognized it instantly.
"Why yes, Mr. Wadsworth...I have every idea what I've done, I've told the truth" I said as calmly as I could.
"Like hell you have, you have disgraced this family for the last time...you..."
"Thomas, how did you get this number?" I asked cutting off mid-rant.
"Somehow, your younger sister obtained it. You are not to have any contact with this family again...and we are pursuing you in court!" he yelled again.
"On what bloody grounds? You've no case!" I laughed. I could hear my mother pleading in the background. "Let me talk to mum"
"No!" he yelled "After all the hell we've put up with in trying to raise you to be a proper young lady, everything I've done for you, this is how you repay me? Run away, date a bleedin' rocker, move in with him and then spread filth about your sister? You aren't allowed to see or talk to this family again! You hear me?"
"Fine! I want nothing to do with you or Daphne as it is...we'll just bloody well see about the rest"
I could hear the phone grabbed away from him, I hoped to God my mum would be there...unfortunately, things didn't play out that way.
"I can't believe you!" Daphne screamed.
"What that I'd actually talk? It was bound to happen Daphne; if you didn't want people to think low of you...you shouldn't have acted how you did. I've done nothing wrong" I said more sure of myself than I'd ever been.
"I'll get back at you for this" she hissed quietly.
"We'll just see about that," I said. I hung up the phone and disconnected it for the evening. I shook slightly, ran my fingers through my hair and took a deep breath. Angus dropped a small ball at my feet and looked up at me expectantly, Martha sat next to me and nosed my hand to pet her. I decided as I absentmindedly scratched her ears, I needed a long soak in the bath before anything else.

I sat in the bathtub trying to clear my thoughts. I was incredibly angry at the call, I was nervous about the threats I'd received.
"Tilly?" I heard Paul's voice call from downstairs.
"I'm in the bath" I called. I wasn't sure he heard me; however, I heard his footsteps coming up the steps. Moments later he was in our room. The bathroom door was slightly ajar; he pushed it open lightly, walked toward me and knelt next to the bathtub.
"'Ello gorgeous" he smiled warmly.
"Hi" was all I could say, it didn't matter how long I'd been with him, somehow, I still could be at a loss for words near him.
"Is everything alright? I tried calling earlier, but the phone was disconnected." He said.
"Thomas called," I said.
"Christ! How did he get the number?" Paul asked.
"Apparently he found it in Lucy's things, she won't be happy to find that out," I said.
"I'm sorry luv, are you alright then?"
"I will be...just a bit of a shock really..." I sighed.
"I'm sorry baby girl..." he said as he caressed my cheek, he smirked, "Do you want some company?"
I smiled instantly.
"Company would be fantastic" I laughed.

After finishing time in the bath, I put on my dressing gown and hopped into bed, Paul being ever thoughtful did the same, only bringing a bottle of wine and a couple glasses as well.
"So, that's that...I have a lot of sympathy for the poor girl...would you mind if I invited her in for tea sometime?" I asked. I had just told him about my meeting with Molly earlier that afternoon. Paul thought a moment.
"When you talk to her tomorrow," he began "Tell her, to come late in the evening. Around 8, we'll find a way for her to get home again. I just don't want every bleeding fan thinking they can get inside"
"Sounds good to me," I said before kissing his cheek "Thank you. She's a very sweet girl, this will mean so much to her"
He smiled warmly and took another drink of his wine.
"You're very kind for talking to her luv," Paul said.
"What do you mean?" I cocked my head and took a drink of my own wine.
"I hear the jabs the fans make at you daily," he said "It frustrates me. I'm surprised you'd give them the time of day" he laughed.
"I try not to let it get to me, be the bigger person I guess" I shrugged.
"Well, you succeed and I love you even more for it" he smiled.
"Oh! I almost forgot!" I said suddenly. I set my wine down and turned toward him more, I fiddled with the collar of his robe as I flirted, he smiled. "What was it you were planning to ask me luv?"
"Did I forget?" he laughed "You don't have to pour on the charm to get it out of me, but I won't complain"
He pulled me close to him and kissed me softly.
"What is it then??" I broke away from him laughing.
"Demanding aren't you luv?" he laughed.
"I can be..." I said
"Alright, well...we've been talking, me and the lads" he began "We'd like to go to India for a bit, study meditation with the Maharishi. It'd be a nice bit of rest."
"Sounds great...What do I need to know to take care of things here?" I asked assuming I'd be staying behind to watch after things in England.
"Here?" he asked. "Tilly luv, I want you to come with me. It'd be a fab time, the Maharishi is amazing, and perhaps meditation could help a bit with well...everything you have on your plate..."
He seemed almost bashful saying the last bit. I smiled.
"You really want me to come along?" I asked.
"Of course I do!" he smiled.
"Alright then," I said finally "I'll go. I could use a bit of relaxation anyway" 

----------

A/N:  the India trip is on the horizon :)  I don't have a ton to say today...just getting over a nasty migraine/not feeling well.  thanks again for keeping up with this story!

Soundtrack: Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie