Across the Universe

"It's so Peaceful here" Pattie sighed happily as she continued painting a design on my hand, she had become quite adept at henna and designing mandalas since she arrived in India.
"It really is" I smiled. It was a warm afternoon, a slight breeze drifted through as we enjoyed our afternoon at the ashram. Paul and I had arrived in India a few days previous, I'd had to make sure my lessons were taken care of...Luckily, Lucy was able to help with that while we were away, a neighbor had planned on taking care of the dogs. Now, I sat amongst The Beatle wives, Pattie, Maureen (often called Mo) and Cynthia. Pattie had called for a girls' afternoon, which was ok with me...it would be nice to get to know more of them even better.
"So, are you enjoying yourself then?" Cynthia asked.
"Yeah, it's been nice so far. It's a much-needed escape for a bit" I smiled.
"Christ lovey," Mo said looking up from her reading "I'd never realized ya' had it so rough until Ritchie showed me your interview"
"That's another thing I'm looking forward to here," I admitted "I'm hoping to gain a bit more control over all the bloody shite going on in my head"
I waved a hand and nearly knocked over the ink Pattie had been using.
"Hold still luv!" she laughed.
The afternoon had been remarkably relaxing. I'd already met the Maharishi and had a session with him the next afternoon. Many of The Beatles friends were there as well, I'd even met members of The Beach Boys!
Donovan was a riot as always. Mia Farrow, an American actress was there as well, she and I would occasionally compare notes about the acting communities in our countries.
I was enjoying the bond I'd formed with Pattie, Mo and Cyn...it was like our own secret club.
I sat reading a book and enjoying the conversation around me.
"Alright, ladies," Pattie said after returning from the room she and George shared "I did have a bit of a plan..."
"Uh Oh.." Mo laughed.
"Sod off!" Pattie giggled. She held some un-discernable packages. "I did a bit of shopping yesterday"
She handed a package to Cyn, then Mo before she stood in front of me.
"I wasn't sure what color you liked best" she grinned as she handed me a package. I was surprised, to say the least, but obliged her and opened the package. Inside was a traditional sari, it was a royal blue and adorned with gold designs throughout the fabric. I ran my hand over the silk.
"You didn't have to do this Pattie," I said.
"Of course I didn't!" she laughed "But I wanted to!"
"Thank you," I said plainly
"Yeah Thanks, Pattie" Mo added. Cyn nodded as well.
"Well, I haven't even said my plan yet..." Pattie grinned.

After getting to know Pattie, I wasn't surprised that her plan was to doll the four of us up for dinner that night. None of us were to see our lads until dinner when we'd surprise them in the saris Pattie had bought for us.
"Alright, this is lovely Pattie," I said confused "But how do I put the bloody thing on?"
"Took the words out of my mouth Tilly luv!" Mo laughed.
"Here," Pattie smiled taking the silk and wrapping it around me
"There...perfect"
I glanced in a mirror, I loved what I saw...she'd fit it to me perfectly, I felt amazing.
"I don't know what you did, but I like it!" I laughed.
I had a black sweater on underneath, the sleeves only came to my elbows, I was quite pleased with the result of it all.
"Paulie won't know what hit him" Cyn grinned as Pattie helped her into her own sari.

We walked to the dining hall together, most nights we would all convene to have dinner together, I hadn't seen Paul since I'd gotten up that morning...none of us had seen our lads that day and I think we were all a little anxious to see them and show off a bit (much as I have always been a tomboy, it was fun to dress up now and then). Paul and John were busy discussing something when we entered, I saw John look up as I snuck toward Paul. John grinned and motioned for Paul to turn around.
Paul turned around to see me, he instantly smiled.
"Christ Til, ya' look fantastic," he said as he rested his hands on my waist.
"Thanks, I'm feelin' pretty good too" I laughed. He pulled me close to him
"You're gorgeous luv" he said quietly.
Dinner that night was fun, there was a lot of laughter and music. Only one thing seemed amiss, John and Cynthia...things seemed odd at the premiere party, but things seemed absolutely strained in India.
Paul and I took a walk that evening, the weather was warm that night and everything was quiet.
"You really do look amazing," he smiled.
"Thank you," I said. Then it hit me, Paul might know what was going on...being as I was concerned for John and Cyn I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
"So, I do have a question that only you might know..." I began.
"Yeah?" Paul grinned "What's that?"
"What's going on with John and Cyn?" I asked.
Paul frowned a bit, his eyes cast downward as he instinctively chewed his lip.
"Perhaps it's something I shouldn't know, but I do care a great deal about all of you...you don't have to tell me if you don't want to luv" I assured him.  Much as I was concerned, I didn't want to cross any boundaries.
"Things have always been rough with those two" Paul sighed "It's been getting worse...he's my best mate, but I don't quite know what's going on with him...and I worry about Julian in all this..."
I hadn't realized how affected Paul was by all surrounding John. I ran my fingers through his hair softly. He closed his eyes and smiled.
"Let's just not think on it now luv," I said "This is supposed to be a time for us to relax"
"I think I know the perfect way to relax..." he said softly
"Really, do tell" I smiled.
"Hmmm...I think we need to go back to our room and I'll tell you then"

Soon after, we were back in our room.
"Now if I could just get you out of this..." Paul laughed softly as he kissed me.
"I think getting out is the easy part luv," I said running my fingers through his hair "I could always have Pattie figure it out"
Paul laughed "Much as I'm sure many guys would jump at that opportunity to be with both of you, I want you all to myself."
"Bit greedy then, aren't you?" I laughed kissing him again.
"Incredibly..." He almost growled as he kissed my neck, it took everything I had not to melt right then.

Eventually, we figured out the garment and lay in bed together. The night was warm, our window was open slightly. Everything was perfect, I could've stayed in India forever at the rate things were going.
"Why do you like this so much?" Paul asked as he ran a hand over my stomach lightly. I closed my eyes and sighed.
"It feels good," I said simply "bit of a new sensation, you're the first to not really care about the scar"
"Really..." Paul said seeming shocked "That strikes me as odd"
I shrugged "It's the truth"
"Tell me about Cedric Tilly," he said finally. I laughed a little.
"Seems an odd thing to say while we're in bed together" I teased.
"I know," he laughed "But I've only ever heard you poke fun at him, never gone into depth about your relationship with him"
"There wasn't much depth to it..." I said without skipping a beat. I sighed.
"I met Cedric through friends in the acting community, he was a model. Should've seen that as a sign, but I didn't. He'd asked around about me, and then finally procured my number from a castmate in a show I was in, asked me on a date, he wasn't terribly bright, but no one like that had ever pursued me before, so I said yes. He was constantly drunk and passed out in our bath; he was disgusted by my scar...that's that really."
"There has to be more, you were with him a long time..." Paul said softly.
"Are you worried I'll go back to him?" I laughed. "Believe me; you have NOTHING to worry about on that"
"Even if he and Daphne split?" Paul asked, he tried to sound mocking, but his voice wavered a bit.
"Even if he and Daphne split and he was at my door on bended knee with my favorite flowers, begging me to come back...I'd still choose you luv" I assured him. Paul smiled and kissed me.
"Even if I wasn't a Beatle?" he asked
"Even if you weren't a Beatle" I smiled. He smiled wide and held me close.
"What are your favorite flowers then? I've only ever gotten you dandelions..." he laughed.
"I like dandelions. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite flower I'd say tiger lilies," I smiled "You don't have to get me any though, that won't make or break us"
"We'll see" he winked.

I woke that night to see Paul at the window smoking.
I heard a small bird singing out the window, I watched as he smoked his cigarette and watched the bird. His interest and love of animals was something that made him even more perfect in my mind, his curiosity about everything always made me smile.
I heard him hum a soft melody as he thought.
I loved the sound of it and couldn't wait to see it shape into a song.
I smiled as I fell back asleep.

--------

A/N:  Been crazy busy this weekend!  but yay!  The India chapters begin :)
Thanks for reading, I'll post more soon!

Soundtrack:  Across the Universe - The Beatles