In the Night- Chapter Seventeen

Chapter XVII

Johnny immediately wrapped his arm around me and pushed me behind him and let out a growl.

"Who the hell are you?!" he snarled.

"Jasper, look I can explain-"

"I don't care if you can explain, Jasper is dead, his heart was ripped from his body, there's no way he survived."

I held back a sob as tears pricked my eyes, it sounded so heartless, what Johnny was saying about Jass. Was this man my brother? No. Johnny's right, Jasper is dead.

"Yes. My heart was torn out, in fact I am not alive as I stand here in front of you," he argued.

This made both of us freeze and share a glance.

"Then how are you standing?" Johnny asked slowly.

He shucked off he jacket and moved his collar so we could see a prominent X scar over where his heart should be. "Vampires, they found my body and repaired it, they turned me into one of them before I could fully move on. I'm undead, standing in front of you because I am a vampire."

I moved past Johnny, ignoring his warning and stood in front of Jasper. I placed my hand slowly on his cold cheek, suppressing the memory of my dream as I stared into his eyes.

"Is it really you?" I whispered, so silent I'm not sure if he even heard me.

"Cassie, look into my eyes and tell me that you can't see the boy I was, tell me you can't see your brother."

I searched his eyes, smelling that faint scent again as I started to see those familiar blue eyes that I saw once dull and lifeless. I remembered these eyes playful and then angry, humorous and full of mischief, these eyes that I always knew would be a heart breakers eyes. I let out a sob and nearly attacked him, hugging him tightly because I knew that no one could replace his eyes with a drawing or clone. They would never hold the memories I saw, I saw the memories in these ones.

"Jasper, oh my god Jasper, I missed you so much," I cried.

"I missed you too," he said as I pulled back, then he looked at Johnny who kind of stood there uncomfortably.

I knew he knew because he was trying to hide his smile and tears. I walked back to him and pulled his face to mine, making him smile even more as I wiped his tears.

"Okay, that's just adorable," Jasper laughed.

"So I guess you know?" Johnny asked.

"Well duh, and I swear, hurt my baby sis, Johnathan and you can kiss you carcass goodbye."

Johnny paled for a second and then looked offended. "I would never hurt her," he argued.

"Good, it better stay that way," Jass warned.

"So how much more do you know?" I asked, shutting the door and going back to my coffee.

"Everything," he admitted quietly.

I tensed, I mean what could I do, he knew and that just made me more horrified of myself. Johnny's arms wrapped around me, holding me tightly and whispering that it was in the past, it didn't matter, that he loved me anyway. After a moment I calmed down, looking at the drawing on the table before looking back to Jasper.

"So, why have you come back now, when a war is just about to start between the Waters and Blood Lust?"

"I came to tell you that Alpha Drake knows that you may be pulling a trick on him, he is having spies span the entire area around the territory and one wrong move and they die. Johnny, I know how much you want to keep my sister safe, but she has to face Drake alone or else Jinny, Mum, and Dad are dead."

"Jass, you know I can't let her do that, we all know what he might do to her, and if he can get her back to his territory..."

I looked down, unable to keep eye contact, we all knew what that would finish with, but I didn't want this. "Johnny-"

"No." He touched my mark lightly. "You belong to me, with me, I will not let him take you."

"I don't think we have a choice, if I'm in the pack house, I can find a way to get to you, you found me last time, it's my turn to do this for myself."

"I can't Cassie, I don't want to think of everything he would do to you, I feel your pain now as you feel mine, I would feel him touching you only the way I should, hear your screams..."

"Cass, what do you want to do?" Jasper asked.

"I-I don't know," I whispered. I had everything to loose, and one way or the other I was going to loose someone I couldn't live without.

-Vote, Comment, Share-