Home (Jason)

I sat looking at my chess set. All but one piece was there, the white king.Whizzers piece. I couldn't use that set now, not knowing that my best friend was not there to play, I gave up chess. Check mate had been called and Whizzer lost. Cordelia was in the other room making pasta with my dad and Dr. Charlotte. They had been around a lot lately trying to cheer him up, so had I. My mom let me over a lot more that usual. Mostly because she's afraid of my dad doing something bad. He and I go out a lot more, I think he just wants to get out of the apartment where Whizzer use to live. I do miss Whizzer, I miss him a lot, he was nice. He would make my dad and I smile. The sound of his voice as he entered the room, the way it rang and bounced off the walls. He would play chess with my even though he was awful, he showed me how to play baseball. He did so many things for us. 'Thank you', the last thing he ever said to me was thank you. I didn't know what he meant by it. I should be thanking him for what he did for us. But the more I think about it, I think he was thanking me for forgiving him. For what my father did, for him being a part of it. I never hated Whizzer for it. It wasn't his fault. But I'm glad he knew I forgave him. After all I would have hated him to leave thinking I didn't like him. It's a morbid thought really but I just wonder what it's like to be him. To be gone, it is strange. He was such a strong and confident person, but that just stopped one day then it was gone. He was gone so fast it was frightening. No one talks about what killed him, Dr. Charlotte use to talk about it with my father but he didn't want to hear it anymore. I want to know, I want to know what killed my best friend, my dads best friend. I'll find out eventually but for now I'll eat pasta with my family. And I'll pretend that time will mend everything that we are going through.