Forgiveness (Trina and Dr. Charlotte)

I'll never understand why I am so attached to him. I look at the sleeping man before me, he's a shell of his former self. His normally styled hair is tucked into a tan cap, the flesh of his cheeks cascades inward, he's so thin. The bedsheets gently rise and fall with each breath he takes. He looks so peaceful despite the fact that he's fighting for his life. The door opens quietly and I turn. Dr. Charlotte is standing in the doorway holding two cups of coffee.
"Hey Trina." She says quietly walking over to me. "I thought you could use some coffee." With that she hands me a glass.
"Thank you." I mumble fighting a yawn.
"You should go home, it's nearly 3 a.m." I shake my head drinking some of the hot coffee.
"I promised Marvin I'd stay with him tonight so he'd go home and get some sleep." I look back at Whizzer. "Is he going to be okay? I mean honestly Charlotte." Her face drops and she shakes her head a bit.
"It's hard to say at this point Trina. His body seems to be loosing the fight...but there's always the chance he'll get better. Why do you care for him like you do Trina? After everything that's happened." She looks at me and I think for a long moment.
"He shared my life, my husband. He's not a bad guy either, he's helped Jason more than I can say. I owe him a lot. That doesn't mean I forgive him entirely, I'm not sure if I can find the strength to." Dr. Charlotte nods.
"I can understand that." She walks over to one of the machines and looks over the charts. She nudges Whizzer a bit trying to wake him. After a few minutes of him reluctantly groaning he wakes up. "Sorry to wake you I have to check your vitals again." He nods and looks over at me with a tired smile that drops.
"Oh good morning Trina, I was expecting Marvin." He says with a tired chuckle. "What are you doing here?"
"Just making sure you're okay." I say with a smile he takes my hand very gently. His face looks more grim than before.
"Trina I just wanted to thank you for everything. For being so kind to me after everything I've done." I hold his hand back with a small smile on my face.
"You're welcome Whizzer." He smiled relief washing over his face. Marvin walked an hour later and thanked me for staying. Just as I was about to stand Whizzer grabbed my hand again.
"Please forgive me Trina..." Tears rested in his eyes. I hugged him gently then kissed his forehead.
"I forgive you Whizzer...I truly mean it." I smiled at him and turned to go. "I'll see you at later." With that I left thinking of how I was going to decorate the hospital room for later tonight.