The Bar pt. 4

I picked my coat up off the couch and got my things together. Marvin is standing in the doorway watching me leave. "I'll see you later." He made me leave in a hurry and I was instantly hesitant. My mind was filling with possible reasons no of which I want to think about. I reach for the doorknob only for it to immediately begin turning. 

"Marvin, I got the-" The pretty brunet looks at me confusion on her face for a moment before the look softens. "Oh hello, you must be Marvin's friend from the bar. I'm his wife Trina I don't believe we've met before." She smiles calmly and the look chills me. My hands start to get clammy and my heart beats so loud that I think it will stop. "This is our son Jason. Jason say hello to..." She pauses to let me fill in my name. 

"Whizzer, uh Whizzer Brown. I don't want to be rude but I really have to go. It was nice to meet you." I half push past her. 

"Wait Whizzer why don't you stay for dinner." Trina yells after me. 

"Thank you but I'm going to be late!" I sprint down the street tearing up in shame. Cordelia was right. You're so stupid Whizzer. When I get to my small apartment I slam the door and pound on it. "You're a fucking idiot! He's a liar!" I kick the door hard enough to cause a jolt of pain to shoot up my leg, a curse springs from my throat. I hold onto the doorknob and start crying I'm so angry. Shame and embarrassment sat in my chest causing my breath to tremor. I was horrified. I couldn't stop thinking about Trina, her face. How completely and wonderfully oblivious she was to it all. Ignorance is bliss. I sat on my couch after my breakdown was over. The t.v. on for background noise. I wrapped myself up in a blanket and just tried to suppress my guilt. It's not your fault you didn't know. A sudden knock at the door startled me. "Who is it?" I called out standing up. I walked over and opened the door a crack. Marvin was standing there. 

"Whizzer-" I cut him off by trying to shut the door which he stopped with his foot. 

"I have nothing to say to you! I should have known you were trouble!" I tried to shut it again before I gave up and let him in. "Get the hell out Marvin." He ran his hands through his hair, a thing he does when he gets anxious. 

"You were going to find out eventually, this doesn't have to change anything between us." I stare at him in shock. 

"Are you kidding me? This changes everything you lied to me! You told me you were divorced!" Marvin sets his hand on my shoulder. I try to pull away but his grip stays strong. He leans in and kisses me. I don't kiss him back for a few seconds but eventually lean in. He breaks it and smiles. 

"See nothing changed. You still love me and I love you. Trina is just a little obstacle but we can work around that, can't we? If you really love me Whizzer, if all those times you said it really meant something...then you'll stay with me." I look at him trying to bury my irritation and shock at his request. "What do you say?" He asks his voice smooth and jabbing. 

"You're going to be the end of me, Marvin. I love you but you are going to be the final nail in my coffin." He smiles and huffs dramatically. 

"Don't be so dramatic Whizzer Brown. Has anyone ever told you how cute you are when you are angry?" I turn from him and let out a heavy sigh. He puts his arms around me and I look out my window. He's going to ruin you.