Chapter Twenty One

The ride back to our apartment complex is spent in silence much to my likeliness. Though the drive is short, I became a bit hesitant as I step into his car. However, I decided to put safety my first priority. Interestingly, Matt doesn't ask me about my relationship with Andrew further than what I've already told him or what he has read so far from the media.

When we get close enough to our complex, I see the sea of reporters, literally camping outside the doors. That raises a question about the legality of their action. Assuming they can harass people and get away with it by publishing their hot news, I don't think they know anything about that.

"Let me accompany you upstairs," he asks as he turns the car to open my door, but finds me already getting out of the car,

"That wouldn't be necessary. Thanks though," I refuse his help,

"I want to, please. That's the least I can do. And I don't feel like letting you go alone like this. Let me walk you," he insists,

Biting my lips with frustration, I look at him, "Listen if you think that this way you can prove something to Andrew or that you're trying to get him mad, I don't think I can allow you that,"

"Please," he scoffs, "I don't give a damn about him," he says as he grabs my arm and leads me toward the elevators, "You think so low of me," he says, disappointed.

"I'm sorry," that's all I can, before turning to the pad and secretly put the pin and the elevator starts running.

I knock at the door and wait for it to open. Inwardly, I give myself a 'what the fuck were you thinking?' as I see Matt still standing next to me patiently with his hand secured on my arm so I wouldn't fall.

The door opens with Andrew standing there looking worried. In a matter of seconds, as his eyes avert from me to Matt, his expression changes. I can see lines of anger and confusion in his eyes.

"Hey," I decide to break the fight of glares and jump in. Walking toward Andrew, I brace him for a hug. Though he circles his arms around me, I can feel the tension in his muscles and the fact that his attention is not on me at all.

"Ok, um... I'm gonna go," Matt says. Taking a few steps, he halts and then turns back to us, "Actually, I have a few words to say, if you don't mind."

Andrew doesn't say anything, he looks at him as if he's ready to pounce on him any second.

"Laura is very dear to me. I was in love with her and I'm still am, however, she made me realize something today. And I'm grateful that she did. As much as I love her, I'm not good for her. I'm not enough for her because if I were she wouldn't be with you," he directs his statement toward Andrew. Andrew, who has his arm around me protectively doesn't say anything, "But that doesn't lessen the fact that I care about her and I'm glad that she has you. So, if you truly love her, you would protect her and you wouldn't hurt her. And I'm telling you this because I know how much she means to you and I'm not trying to be an asshole, but if you dare to hurt her, you would wish you were alive." He fires glares at Andrew.

Turning to me, Matt's expression changes, "And you, take care of yourself. I don't know when we would see each other again, but I hope you have a happy life and if anything, and I mean if anything, it is that you need, I can help you with, not as a lover, as a brother," and then he smiles at me. Through the smile, I see one last time the Matt I fell in love with years ago. The sweet boy who cares about others, but himself.

"You too," I shoot at him.

Without a second glance, he makes his way to the elevator and this time vanishes through it. Standing like a statue, Andrew is frozen next to me and when I extend my arm to close the door before us, he doesn't move. Eventually, he gulps and clenches his fists before walking to the living room.