Chapter 9

"Dhianna..."

Just when I thought the coast is clear, Joel Pimentel is calling after me outside my door.

"Dhianna...please open the door." He said again.

Suddenly, an energy of rage surged through me and I walked towards my door and open it.

"Who the hell allows you to come inside? This is my privacy, you know? My house. You can't just invade it." I laced out.

He looked down and looked at me again, "I know you're mad at me for being a jerk to you, but, I'm here as a friend. I know how you feel socializing with new people, I know."

I looked at him again, now, eyes to eyes, "Look, Joel, I'm pretty much really tired right now. I still have to do my homework. So, if you feel like you feel me right now, you could leave me alone and walk out my house right this second."

He sighed, "You're being very difficult, Dhianna."

I laughed, "It was bound to happen."

When he saw me laughing, he smiled. It warms my heart at how when he smiles, his eyes would crinkle and when he let out a laugh, it was such the most genuine laugh ever.

"I'm sorry for a being a jerk to you, Dhianna. I really am." He said again.

I sighed, finally finding a peace in my heart to forgive him, after all I did somehow hit his car and I owe him for not asking me money for the damage I did.

"You were really a jerk, last time. But I forgive you, only because you ask nicely." I said.

Here we are, standing in front of bedroom, smiling to each other, two souls connecting. A starting of a new beginning. A new friendship. A new start.

"So, I think we should start over. Hi, I'm Joel. Joel Pimentel de Leon." He smiled.

I extended my hand, "Hello, I'm Dhianna. Dhianna Louise-Ava Gabriel. Nice to meet you."

"That's a mouthful." He joked as he grabbed my hand and in that fraction of second, I realized I'm really making a new friend.

"You should go, Joel. Your friends are waiting for you at the cinema." I said, releasing his hand.

He looked at the time, "I'd rather ditch and stay here with you. You look like you need a company."

I gave him a glare, "You're not going there, boy."

He laughed, "At least I try. Ok, well. I'll see you soon, okay, Dee?"

"Sure, bye. Tell Chris to lock the door, thanks." I said, easing the door shut.

●●●●●●●●

When the night approached, I decided to cook whatever food I had left in the fridge and lucky for me, Chris has stocked up my fridge with all the essentials I need along with a note that says;

You should start cooking on your own, Dhia. It's not healthy to eat pizza or pop tarts all the time. If you need me to cook, just hmu.

Your love forever,
Christopher Velez Muñoz.

I rolled my eyes at his remark. I quickly get my phone and call him.

At first ring, he answered the call.

"Hey baby girl, missing me already?" He said, as soon as he answered.

I rolled my eyes, "Really? 'Your love forever'? You could do better, sloth."

He laughed, "Oh you only love me, baby. Stop denying it."

I snickered, "No, I love Zabdiel. Not you."

He faked a hurt sound, "You're so mean to me."

I laughed, "Thank you, Velez. I know I could count on you. I love you."

He was distracted on the other side of the line, due to the rustling sound, but he was back in a matter of second.

"Yeah, I love you too. Look, we're having dinner right now, I'll see you tomorrow at school, aye?" He said, before ending the call.

"Bye." I said.

Suddenly I was hit by the feeling of loneliness. Maybe I was being difficult but I just can't do that.

When I was about to cut a tomato, there was a soft knock on my door and I quickly walked towards it. As soon as the door open, a well-dressed Joel was standing in my doorway, something in his hand.

"What are you doing here, Joel? What are you doing here?" I asked, confused.

"Nice to meet you too, Dee. I'm here to bring you dinner. Looks like your parents are away so..here I am." He said.

Suddenly my face falls and I looked at the man over me, "Come in, but leave the door open, please."

He walked inside the house and place a container full of food in front of me, looking delicious.

"Did you cook this?" I asked, sniffing the delicious scent of the food.

"No, but my abuelita did. I told her about you and was reprimanded for being rude, so this is like an apology token." He said, smiling.

I finally looked at him, "Aw, so sweet. Thank you, Joel. For this."

Suddenly, he pull me into a hug and I was caught off guard, "She also told me to hug you, to make sure you feel alright."

I melted into his embrace as those words rolled out of his tongue. It was very nice of them and him for doing this for me.

"Thank you so much, for everything. I don't have anything in return for this, but please say thank you for me." I said, tearing up a bit.

"Just be you, Dee. Just be you." He smiled and hugged me again.

After a few hours of getting to know each other, he finally decided to call it a night. I bid my farewell to him and watch him disappear into the dark void of the night.

From what I've seen, I realized, Joel is a really good guy. Actually, first impression was very important, and both of us, caught each other's first impression definitely at the wrong time.

Now that we know each other a bit well, I think he's nice and very good looking. It's hard to say otherwise when once you understand something.

I smiled at the thought.

When I was about to switch the light on my night stand, my phone buzzed signalling I have a message. It was Joel.

Joel; Goodnight, Dee.

Me: thanks for understanding. You don't know how much that means to me.

Joel: not a problem, dee. See ya very soon ;)

Me: yeah, sure. Night, Joey.

Joel: Joey? That's new. Night, Dee.

And with that, I fall into a dreamless slumber.