Chapter 28

Christopher Velez

A month ago, the news break out that Dhianna and Joel are over.

It was hard for me to believe it because all I see when they're together is two person in love. I know Joel loves Dhianna, so much it hurts him but Dhianna, even being with Joel couldn't be herself and continue being in a shell.

I know she is afraid to love and giving her heart to someone because of what happened in her life but deep in her heart, I know ever since she met Joel, all her life reciprocate around him and she's so stubborn to admit that.

Ever since their break up, Joel had moved back to Mexico and Dhianna had been nothing but a broken soul inside an even broken shell.

She was beyond repair.

All I see was a shell of a woman, who are trying so hard to keep everything bottled inside that it's taking its toll on her.

Ever since that, she'd been wearing dark outfit, reading gothic and disturbing poems, and sometimes writing one. She was too caught up in her own world, that in reality, she's slowly disappearing.

It worries me to the max that my best friend are going through this. Sometimes I would wait in front of her house and wonder if she would ever come out and greet me when she saw me through the windows of her room.

All she does was looking straight into the horizon, tears staining her cheeks.

I wish it could stop, I wish I could get my Dhianna back. I wish.

Today at school, Yoandri told me that Dhianna had failed her AP Lit pop quiz and I was shocked to hear that.

"What? What do you mean she failed? She never fails you know." I asked.

Yoandri sighed, "I know, she's been very quiet in class and I don't know, she's a whole new person, Chris."

A whole new person yes, so when I saw her walking inside the cafeteria and sat next to Zabdiel, I quickly changed place with him.

"Dhianna, what is wrong with you?" I asked and she looked at me, lifeless orbs looking into my brown orbs.

She smiled, the one she gave when she was trying to push someone away. "Guys, why are you all so worried about me? I'm fine, look!"

I heard Zabdiel shifting his weight before saying.

"Dhianna." He started, " ..Doesn't mean you don't mop around or cry around, you are able to fool us in thinking you're okay when you know yourself you're not."

Something flashed through her features but she shrugged it off and laugh.

"What bullshit are you saying, Zabdiel?" She said.

Zabdiel sighed, "We are so worried about you, Dhianna."

I looked at Mariana who was just looking at a miserable Dhianna. She was worried too.

She was quiet for quite a minute and when I was about to say something, she interrupted.

"Stop wasting your time worrying about me. Stop wasting all your time for me. I'm nothing but fine okay?"

She said it a bit loud for my liking. I know she was trying to convince us but at the same time, I know she was trying to convinced herself.

School went in a fast pace and when I was inside the car with Zabdiel, I quickly dialed Joel's number.

He answered on the second ring.

"Hey, Chris! My man." He said, enthusiastically.

"Hi, Joel. How have you been?" I asked.

He laughed, "Really good, thanks. What about you?"

"I'm not so great."

"Oh, why is that?"

I sighed, "..It's Dhianna. She's been failing class and she's moping around, it's worrying all of us."

He was quiet for a while, the chatters on the other side of the phone was also quiet. It's like giving ways for him to think.

"Dhianna." Was the only thing he said.

"As much as I don't want to say this, please come back, Joel and bring back my old Dhianna." I said.

"She doesn't want me there, Chris. She said it herself. I don't want to hurt her anymore by being anywhere near her." He said.

I sighed, "I know she don't. But we both knew how Dhianna is. She's stubborn and sometimes a pain in the ass, but she's disappearing, Joel. One second she was okay, who knows another second, if she ever going to live or give out to her demons.

"Chris.."

"Listen here, Joel, my best friend is getting the taste of what it's like to make a stupid, stupid mistake. She's paying for it all, by herself. She's dying, her soul are dying. Come back, please. For once, if she are going to be more difficult than she was before, I welcomed you to walk away and never come back."

The was a long silence in the distance before he started talking again, "I will."