[02]

CHAPTER TWO
THE MATTER OF JUNG DOJOON

[NOVEMBER 20, 1981]

NARRATOR

In the mafia, events were held regularly

In the mafia, events were held regularly. It wasn't uncommon for the entirety of the families to meet on a Wednesday or any other day of the week in their designer clothes, hopping out of limousines to eat expensive food that people living average lives only at once a year. But they had the cash to flaunt. And it was tradition to come together, no matter the cost.

The first to arrive were usually the henchmen. This consisted of a variety of men, most were single but the more powerful ones had wives. Henchmen could range anywhere on the power scale. There were those with lower statuses, who did all of the dirty work - the murders, the arson, etc. They got their hands dirty so no one else had to. There was Kim Jongin who was as high up as a henchman could be, the only thing keeping him from being a boss was a successful heist. And then there was Kim Minseok, Suho's right hand man, and Oh Sehun, Chanyeol's right hand man. They were the most notable of the henchmen currently crowding the restaurant.

Next were the middle men. They were too powerful to be considered henchmen, but they weren't quite ready to be bosses yet. Baekhyun and Yixing were the most notable of the middle men in their family. One's temperament held him back from being a boss while the other had a hard time getting his hands dirty.

And finally, there were the bosses. These men were untouchable. They didn't have to do anything themselves, because there was already a handful of henchmen ready to do it for them. Not only were they the most successful, but also the most wealthy. The easiest way to acquire the position of a boss was through family ties. But many had to take the route of starting out as a henchmen and climbing their way up the status ladder. This was the case for Park Chanyeol, one of the most notable henchmen to become a boss. While Kim Suho on the other hand was practically born into the position.

Respect was vital among the positions. The henchmen were expected to do everything their boss and the middlemen told them to do, and the middlemen were expected to respect the bosses, or else.

In the mafia, social status was similar to a job for an average person. And if you did your job badly, one could expect to get fired, or rather, whacked, killed and never heard from again.

†††

VIVA