[13]

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
THE LESSON

[JANUARY 1st, 1982]

CHANYEOL

Chanyeol sighs as he shuts his car door. He and Baekhyun had just returned from visiting Sehun. They had received the good news that he would be released soon. But he was still in the process of healing. Chanyeol didn't care that Sehun would be out of commission for a while - he was just glad that his friend was alive.

Chanyeol glances at the house across the street to see his neighbor, Kenji, working on his car. When Kenji catches Chanyeol looking, the Japanese man waves with a smirk that makes Chanyeol frown.

"What the fuck was that about?" Baekhyun asks, referring to the weird interaction. Chanyeol shrugs because Kenji had always gave him a strange vibe. Which is why Chanyeol never interacted with the man. And he continues to do so, by ignoring Kenji's wave and making his way up the path leading to his house. Baekhyun glances back at Kenji, who's still smirking, before following after his boss.

Once Chanyeol has unlocked the door, he steps into his house only to find it completely dark. The silence that greets him is unnerving. It was rare for Maya to keep the blinds closed and the house to be this quiet. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun share a look. Something was up. And they both were left to wonder. Where was Maya?

Baekhyun's hands are already wondering to the gun tucked inside his jacket. While Chanyeol cautiously makes his way down the hall to the bedroom. The hallway is just as dark as the rest of the home. And Chanyeol isn't really sure what to expect when he pauses before pushing the bedroom door open.

Seated on the edge of the bed is Maya. One of the straps to her dress was falling from her shoulder, which shook slightly. Her hair covered her face due to the way her head was ducked. But the way she was wiping at her face, and the breathless gasps that filled the room made it clear that she was crying. That's all Chanyeol needed to know to come rushing towards her.

He reaches out and cradles her face in his hands, thumbing at her tears. Maya rarely cried, in fact, in their many years of marriage, Chanyeol had only seen his wife do so only a few times. So whatever happened must have really gotten to her. It doesn't help that when Maya looks up at him finally, her eyes looked somewhat frightened. And then, there was the bruise on her cheek that made the killing instinct already stirring within Chanyeol increase ten fold.

"What happened?" Chanyeol tries to ask as calmly as he can because he doesn't want to frighten her further. The truth was, that Chanyeol was ready to kill. The thought of someone hurting his wife made his blood boil. He couldn't even process his anger, just the need to kill whoever was bold enough to even do such a thing.