[07]

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE OFFER 

[NOVEMBER 23, 1981]

-

Thanksgiving in the mafia was just another event. It was just another moment for the women to show off their expensive, custom dresses and complain about their kids, and for the men to do business. This time around, it was held at a restaurant downtown. The restaurant still held its business like usual - but the tables in the back were strictly reserved for the family. With the entire family present, the restaurant's owner was running around frantically, making sure the family was well taken care of - because he didn't really want to die.

The thing about Thanksgiving was that the entire family was present - including the main boss. Kim Jongmin was old, his eyes were sharp, and he barely spoke a word. But he didn't really need to, his two sons did all of his talking for him. There was Jonghyuk, who was the oldest, and most serious. He cared a lot about his sickly father, but he cared even more about who was going to receive the position of family head when the older man died. And then there Jongdae, the younger brother who didn't take things too seriously. Jongdae was friendly and easy going, which Jonghyuk hated him for.

Jongmin hadn't made any indication on who he planned on leaving his position to. But it went without saying - that whoever took over would greatly change the course of everyone's lives.

†††

CHANYEOL

CHANYEOL

"Dojoon is still missing."

Chanyeol swallows thickly at the words that greet his ears. One of the bosses at the further end of the table had said it, but it could still be heard from where he sat, directly by Jongdae. Jongmin had them sit according to how much he favored them, and luckily (and both unluckily) Chanyeol was only two seats away from Jongmin himself. Baekhyun was beside him, and Suho and Yixing were directly across from them. Usually, middlemen were forced to sit at the table with the henchmen, but Yixing and Baekhyun were both so close to being bosses that it didn't really matter at this point.