[08]

CHAPTER EIGHT
THE HEIST I.

[DECEMBER 1, 1981]

-

Heists in the mafia were held once a year, at the beginning of one particular month: December. In December, the banks were overflowing with cash, whether it was going in, or coming out. People were digging into their savings, others were depositing. The main point being that the money was moving. It was there, and now, it was going to be taken.

When it came to family heists - middlemen were the highlight. It was their chance to prove that they could handle things on their own. That they could get something done without the help of their boss - that they could be a boss. If they were successful, then sometime into the new year, after the heat from the heist died down, they would become "made". And they would no longer be middlemen, but bosses.

Henchman had a chance to shine as well, depending on the job they had. Usually, the one who stole the most cash, or who did something particularly noteworthy stood out. If they did well enough, they could become middlemen, to whichever boss that thought them worthy enough. Jongin had been given the very important job of stealing from one of the more secure vaults, and then losing the cops on a very detailed chase. It was the perfect set up to get him noticed. And he was confident that he would be successful, but still, he was confused. Chanyeol had clearly assigned him the role. And Jongin was left to wonder, how would Chanyeol benefit from him becoming a middleman. A small part of Jongin hoped it was because the elder wanted to take him under his wing. But another part of Jongin had a very bad feeling about it all. The heist would just have to play out, and then, he would be able to tell.

Baekhyun was in charge of this particular heist. And if he was successful, he would no longer be Chanyeol's middleman, but a boss. But first, he had to make sure everything played out well. He had to make sure enough cash was stolen so that everyone was paid well, that no one was injured or killed, that they outsmarted the police, that the heist was successful. Of course, Chanyeol was there to help him. He aided his middleman in assigning everyone their various roles and figuring out which vaults held the most cash. But on the day of the actual heist - everything would be in the hands of Byun Baekhyun.

†††