[17.2]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN-PART TWO
THE RIFT

[FEBRUARY 11th, 1982]

BAEKHYUN

Baekhyun pouts as he stares at the tv, some old romance movie playing out before him. If there was one thing Byun Baekhyun hated the most, it was being injured. Every time he caught sight of the cast encasing his arm, he wanted nothing more than to storm to the main house and snap Jonghyuk's neck. His only comfort was that the bastard's leg was now in a cast again as well. And, after being released from the hospital, he had been reminded that promotions were coming up for current middlemen. And according to Chanyeol, there was a lot of talk that pretty soon, Baekhyun would be among the untouchables.

The thought made him feel satisfied beyond measures. After all, Baekhyun had a very long list of people he needed to "pay visits" to. And when he became a boss, he could do just that with the simple wave of his hand. He couldn't wait. The sooner he got his new title, the better. The only downside to his hard working paying off was the matter of having to cut ties with Chanyeol, and Sehun as well. Middlemen were expected to stop contact with their old bosses, but mostly, they became enemies. Everything was a competition, it was a matter of who could build the best empire. Being a boss wasn't a position that you just stepped into and held. If you weren't making use of the position, it could just as easily be taken from you.

But Baekhyun didn't plan on that happening. Once they deemed him with the title, he planned on making it his forever.

The sound of knocking at the front door makes him groan. After the hotel's collapse, Baekhyun was rendered pretty much useless due to his right arm being restricted in a cast. And since he didn't want anyone seeing him in such a state, he simply locked himself away in his house, leaving Chanyeol and Sehun to take care of his end of the business. He sent many of his henchmen away, simply not wanting to deal with them (but really, he was mostly embarrassed about his cast). The only ones that remained were restricted to the outside of the house, only allowed to come for emergencies only.

Which is why Baekhyun has to get up from the couch himself and head to the door. The knocking on the other side is insistent. And it makes Baekhyun pull the door open without thinking. But when he sees who's on the other side, he quickly tries to close it. Unfortunately, they grab his uninjured arm and pull, making him slam his own arm in the door.

"Really?" Jongdae grins when Baekhyun grunts in pain, "Don't be like that. Open the door Baek or I'll send bullets flying through it."

Ignoring the excruciating pain in his arm, Baekhyun sighs shakily as he opens the door. He glares at Jongdae as he enters, but Jongdae simply laughs in his face before slapping his injured arm playfully.