[06]

CHAPTER SIX
THE AFTERMATH

[NOVEMBER 22, 1981]

ANGEL

Angel holds one hand steadily over Cat's mouth, using her other to turn the other woman around slowly. Cat squints in the darkness before she finally seems to recognize her. Angel places her finger over her lips to indicate for the other woman not to make a sound when she removes her hand. Cat nods slowly, and Angel finally removes her hand and takes a step back. She looks up at the second floor where the shots had rang out to find blood Suho's office window stained with blood. Cat's eyes seem to be drawn to it at as well. Her worry was evident, and it made Angel feel bad considering no one knew who had been shot.

But as of now, her main priority was keeping her friend safe. She remembers how Yixing and his men were about to storm the house at any minute, so she grabs Cat and pulls the other girl towards the pool house. Cat catches on quickly and unlocks the place. Once she's finished, Angel hurried inside and pulls the other girl in as well. With the door closed, the two woman press themselves against the wall, both trying to ignore the garbage bag containing Dojoon's dead body.

"Sungjin has the place surrounded." Angel whispers, glancing out of the pool house window, "He knows Baekhyun and Chanyeol killed Dojoon, and you all were going to help them cover it up."

Angel had told Yixing everything when she had arrived home after stumbling in on Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongin killing Dojoon. He was going to find out eventually, and besides, she shared everything with her husband. Because in a way, it would benefit him. Yixing was a middleman on his way to becoming a boss, he needed every advantage he could get. And him being in on the loop and having the knowledge about Dojoon's death gave him a huge advantage.

Playing dirty in the mafia wasn't uncommon. Despite being one big family - loyalties were mixed, and sometimes non existent, especially between the higher ups. Sometimes, in order to become a boss, the middlemen pushed their current boss out of the way, and stepped on them in order to get the push they needed to become a boss themselves. Though this rarely happened, it wasn't looked down on. Usually, the more bold middlemen took this route - the ones who weren't afraid to step on the bosses who had guided them. The ones who weren't afraid to severe ties.

Middlemen, upon becoming bosses, usually severed ties with their former bosses - they became neutral, not quite enemies, but definitely not friends anymore. When you became a boss - you didn't have anyone to answer to. A bosses main priorities were building their own empire, finding their own middlemen, acquiring their own henchmen, etc. They didn't need their own bosses, because now, they were a boss.

"Sungjin is upstairs with Suho." Cat whispers suddenly, a desperate look in her eyes as she starts to crawl towards the pool house door, "I have to-"