[20]

CHAPTER TWENTY
NINE TO EIGHT

[MARCH 20th, 1982]

-

Suho shoves his way through the fighting bodies, wondering what exactly led to such a predicament: a restaurant full of fighting men. Then, he remembers that he's in the mafia and any and everything is possible in their lifestyle. Yixing and Jongdae are following closely behind, and it seems that even in their hostile, aggressive states, the henchmen know better than to try and attack any of the three. But it doesn't explain why they attacked Chanyeol, someone on equal ranking with both Jongdae and Suho. Suho himself was very much confused, but his concern for his friend outweighed that. At the moment, his main goal was saving Chanyeol.

The henchmen all appear to be fighting themselves at this point, but Suho quickly spots an oddity in the crowd. There's a group of henchmen seemingly holding up a seemingly unconscious individual, and without thinking, Suho rushes towards them. When he gets close enough, he recognizes, through the black eye marred with cuts, the blood crusted around their mouth, and the bruises on their cheeks that the person is in fact Chanyeol. He appeared to be struggling to maintain consciousness if the way he was blinking in disorientation were any indication. Simply put, he looked seconds away from death.

So Suho doesn't waste anytime in rushing forward, Yixing shoving a few of the henchmen aside while Jongdae pulls out a gun and aims it at them.

"Let him go." He demands, and Suho just barely has time to catch a nearly unconscious Chanyeol when the henchmen drop him immediately in fear.

Suho frowns at the bloodied and bruised state of his childhood friend, and he wonders why things have to be this way. But when Chanyeol coughs up enough blood to make even Yixing look sympathetic, he realizes this might be what will bring them back together. Sometimes in the mafia, it took the warning of death to pull things that were once falling apart, back together again, as if they had never broken in the first place. Loud clapping garners the attention of Suho, Yixing, and Jongdae then, and they all look up to see Johnny Park grinning and clapping as he stares at them.

"How sweet, what's this? A reunion? The gangs almost all here." Johnny notes, a small smirk on his lips as he looks at them, "Granted, Park didn't know he was gonna die back then. But we know that now, and I'm here to bring forth the future. I have that power. You see, this is my kingdom now and I'm the God around here. But I'm also the grim reaper so I say who stays and who the fuck has to go."

Suho raises a brow when Johnny holds his arms out in a display of self appreciation. The older boss lowers his voice then, staring at them evenly as he continues.

"But I'm a generous guy, so I'll cut you three a deal. Leave Park here to die, or you three can follow him to the grave." He offers, smirking as if he knew they would jump at the offer. But when they don't immediately agree, his face falls. And he watches as Suho grabs Chanyeol's arm and Yixing grabs the other as the two haul him up, and even Jongdae looks prepared to help their friend out as well. The sight makes Johnny'a smirk fall, he motions to his henchmen then, "You bastards, trying to play heroes in a game where there are none. But you'll regret it. I'll make sure of that."