[22.2]

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
PART TWO
BALDUCCI FOR TWO II.

[April 10th, 1982]

-

MINSEOK

MINSEOK

Minseok is thankful for the plush, royal blue rug lining the second floor hallway. It keeps his footsteps practically silent as he follows after Celine. By now, she's slowed down to graceful steps. He can see how her shoulders are hunched behind the dark curls gracing her back. Her gown is dragging along the floor, but the house is so spotless that there's no dirt in sight to mar it. Finally, she stops at a room in the middle of the hall. She hurriedly pushes it open, looking down the opposite end of the hall before hurrying it in, and pulling the door closed behind her. And Minseok hesitates, scrambling his mind for some sort of plan. But when he fails to come up with one, he just sighs and opens the door to the room.

Celine is sitting in front of her vanity, brushing her hair with a somber expression. But when she spots him intruding, she forces a smile.

"Sorry." Minseok says, faking an embarrassed smile, though the blush he feels burning his face is very much real, "I was looking for the bathroom, but I'm kind of lost. This place is huge."

Celine's smile turns genuine at his compliment of the house and upon seeing his embarrassed smile.

"Uh, sorry again for barging in." Minseok says, rubbing at the back of his neck awkwardly, "I'll just go now-"

"No, no!" Celine exclaims suddenly, genuinely startling him. She laughs nervously then before smiling and speaking once more, "I owe you an apology, actually. I should be downstairs entertaining my guests, not locking myself up in here."

Minseok isn't sure what to say one response, so he lingers in the doorway awkwardly. But when Celine's face turns somber once more, he realizes he might not even need a plan.

"I should be happy tonight." Celine mutters, clearly talking to herself. Her head is downcast and she's running her thin hands through her dark curls.

"You mean, you aren't?" Minseok asks, shoving his hands in the pockets of his pants as he steps into the room slowly.

"How can I be, when my husband is driving me crazy?" Celine replies, looking up at him with a miserable smile, "Bastiano... he's scaring me."

Sensing the perfect opportunity to get a first hand confirmation that Bastiano was in fact that spy, Minseok sits beside her in front of the vanity and gives his best genuinely concerned expression.