[15]

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
SURVIVING II.

[JANUARY 3rd, 1982]

ANGEL

"What the hell is Jonghyuk up to?" Angel wonders, thinking of the henchmen and their odd behavior in the hotel. It's difficult to hurry up the stairs in heels, but somehow, she manages. At her words, Maya looks back from where she's standing in front of the door leading to the second floor.

"Isn't it obvious by now?" She replies, hand hovering on the door knob, "He wants to kill us- all of us."

"But that's so careless. This hotel is full of high level people. If he kills us all right here, right now then how is he going to cover that up?" Angel says, brows furrowed in confusion, "Killing everyone in plain sight, what kind of plan is that?"

"Jonghyuk's plan, he's just that desperate. He doesn't care about consequences or the aftermath." Maya tells her quietly, "The only thing he cares about is that none of us leave this hotel alive."

Angel falls silent at this. Though she couldn't help but agree. Jonghyuk had clearly grown desperate. And now, he just wanted them out of the way, for good. That would make taking over in Jongmin's place much easier. Not only would he have effectively stopped Suho and Chanyeol's say in the matter of the new family head. But he would also be able to avenge Dojoon's death as well. It seemed the wives themselves were back up plans to his initial goal. If the husbands weren't killed in the crossfire then surely they'd be devastated by the loss of their wives. If the wives were killed, then the husbands would be too grief stricken to oppose Jonghyuk taking the position as family head.

It was the perfect plan. The odds were significantly low for them. But Angel knew that there was a flaw in every plan. So far, Jonghyuk had failed in taking them out. She hoped this was just another showcase for his failure. For now, she would do her part in the only way she could - by surviving.

"Well, I guess we better change that then." She tells the woman in front of her finally.

Angel watches as Maya nods, hesitating before opening the door to the second floor. Unlike downstairs, the lights are dimmer than downstairs. The end of the hall is difficult to see. Angel squints as she follows Maya into the dimness. The two women walk closely into the hallway, heels scraping against the solid carpet beneath their feet. Their quiet breathing is the only sound to be heard. Just as they make it less than half way down the hall, things take a sharp turn.

Angel merely blinks before the sound of ammunition fills the air. Luckily, both she and Maya have quick instincts, and manage to drop to the ground just as bullets go flying through the air at a speed that only meant one thing. One of Jonghyuk's henchmen had an assault rifle at the end of the hallway, and he wasn't going to let them leave the second floor alive.