[33]

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

THE DEAD MAN'S GRAVE

[July 2nd, 1982]

-

Looking back, no one quite understood what had become of them. Did it all start with Dojoon's death? Or was it Jongmin's passing that gave way to the madness? Would things still have fallen apart all the same regardless? There were too many dead bodies, too many silenced voices to fill in the gaps. Those who remained, had no choice but to face the fall that, in its wake, left a bittersweet end.

†††

CHANYEOL

Dead.

Byun Baekhyun was dead.

Park Chanyeol grimaces as sharp pains emanate in his heart. He doubles over, squeezing his eyes shut to deal with the suffocating sensation. He couldn't breathe. He stares at the darkness provided by the blindfold Gogo had forced on him before shoving him into a cold, dark room.

His hands were tied tightly behind his back, and even then, his strength had betrayed him. He could only remain on his knees, tied hands hanging limply behind his back. His heart twists then aches, a cycle that repeats itself until Chanyeol's vision grows blurry.

He takes in a shaky breath, and then his heart aches with an intensity that makes him fall forward, hitting the cold ground roughly. The pain in his chest was burning, searing through him with an intensity that left him breathless and scrambling for life in the empty, darkness.

He thinks of Maya, their children, Baekhyun, and how he can no longer go on, and Park Chanyeol heaves a sob of pure agony.

†††