[17.4]

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - PART FOUR
MISSING REPORTS

[FEBRUARY 13th, 1982]

ANGEL

Angel waits patiently in front of her desk for the signal. Seconds later, the sound of heels clicking loudly against the marble flooring has her jumping into action. She knocks a set of papers and files from her desk, then proceeds to fake panic and pick them up in the same moment that a head of dark curls peek into her office.

"Angel, have you gotten all the files about that hotel's collapse in downtown?" Renee, her boss, is staring at her rather impatiently.

"They were on my desk, but I think I may have misplaced them." Angel replies, giving her boss a nervous smile for added effect. And if works because Renee sighs.

"Well find them, and have them on my desk by the end of this week. The sooner we get started on this case, the better." She says, because despite Angel's "forgetfulness", she never really got angry.

"I'll keep looking." Angel tells her making Renee shake her head before leaving. Once she's gone, Angel sighs in relief. Playing double agent could sometimes be tiring. Angel worked for an investigation bureau that dealt with specific crimes, or rather, organizational crimes. A lot of the times, she had files placed on her desks of people she was more than familiar with. There were many times where she had to pretend to "lose" files to save a few of her own family members from lengthy prison sentences. But Angel was smart, and more than careful when it came to covering their tracks.

However, the collapse of the hotel had brought a lot of unwanted attention to the family, especially from the police department. A hotel that no one has ever stayed at collapses from the eighth floor on up, and everyone inside gives a fake name and different reason as to why they were there in the first place just screams suspicious. So now, Angel's job has just become that much more difficult.

"Hey" Angel looks up from where she's pretending to look for files on her desk to the doorway where her coworker, Cade, is standing with a small smile, "Looking for something?"

"Just some files on that hotel's collapse downtown." Angel tells her, forcing an embarrassed smile, "I think I may have lost them, actually."

"Well, it's a good thing I made copies of everything." Cade says, holding out a very familiar folder that makes Angel's smile drop, "I know how forgetful you can be sometimes."

"Oh" Angel murmurs, struggling to maintain her smile as she reaches for the folder, "Thanks Cade, I'll just take that to Renee-"