[10]

CHAPTER TEN
THE HEIST III.  

[DECEMBER 1, 1981]

BAEKHYUN

"This was much easier than I thought."

Baekhyun looks up at the sound of Jonghyuk's voice. The older man is holding a bag full of cash with an unreadable expression. Despite currently standing in the most heavily guarded vault in the bank, the two were mostly unharmed. But behind them, they left a trail of dead policemen and security guards in their wake. Things had gone smoothly. They managed to get in the vault and get a decent amount of cash.

"Yeah, it's almost too good to be true." Baekhyun says as he picks up a stack of freshly printed bills and admires them in the light.

"A lot of things are too good to be true these days." Jonghyuk comments casually, "But sometimes we don't know until it's too late."

The strange tone in Jonghyuk's voice is hard to miss. Still, Baekhyun pretends to be oblivious. He continues to admire the way the light shines on the freshly printed hundred dollar bills. Jonghyuk himself is looking around the vault very discreetly. Or at least, he thought he was being discreet.

"Looking for this?" Baekhyun asks finally, pulling Jonghyuk's pistol from behind his back and holding it out with an innocent smile. Jonghyuk had been in such a rush to get in and out of the vault that he had dropped it upon entering. Luckily, Baekhyun had been watching him the entire time, waiting for an opportunity to get an advantage over the older man.

"What are you going to do with that?" Jonghyuk demands, a small smirk on his lips as he watches Baekhyun toy with the gun, "You can't kill me."

And it was true. Technically, Baekhyun couldn't kill him. That would land him in an even deeper situation than he was already in. Jonghyuk was apart of the main family, killing him would leave Baekhyun dead in less than twenty four hours. So no, he couldn't kill the older man. But that didn't mean that he would let Jonghyuk kill him either.

"No" Baekhyun agrees, a smile on his lips as he holds the gun up, "But I can do this."

Jonghyuk's eyes widen and he opens his mouth to protest only to shout in pain when Baekhyun squeezes the trigger and the bullet shoots through his leg. The alarm in the bank goes off then, sirens painting the walls a neon red. Crackling from the wires in both Jonghyuk and Baekhyun's ear sound seconds later.

"The cops are about to come in, so we're heading to the trucks. Let's get the fuck out of here while we still can." Jongdae's end of the line is filled with noise, but they still manage to hear him.