[03]

CHAPTER THREE
THE MATTER OF JUNG DOJOON II.

[NOVEMBER 21, 1981]

VIVA

The next day finds Viva downtown, walking alongside none other than Jung Dojoon. Apparently, he wanted to apologize for his behavior at the party. And Viva had been willing to hear him out. She wasn't one for holding grudges over petty things and it wasn't often that a boss went out of their way to apologize to anyone, let alone Jung Dojoon offering to apologize at that.

"What is this all about Dojoon?" Viva asks finally, because they've been walking for what feels like forever now. Her feet hurt from trying to walk on the ragged concrete in six inch heels and she regretted wearing a fur coat because it was actually starting to grow warm outside.

"I wanted to apologize for the other night, so I got you something." Dojoon says with a shrug, giving her a smile that makes Viva frown. She noticed that he had a few bandages on his face, that weren't there the night before. But she decided not to ask about them. It was none of her business anyway.

"Well, where is it?" Viva asks impatiently because she didn't trust the man at all, but she could definitely smile and pretend that she did.

"Relax Viva." Dojoon tells her with a laugh, he reaches over to grip her shoulder and Viva has to resist the urge to slap his hand away, "It's actually right this way."

What Viva isn't expecting is for Dojoon to stop and point down some random, dark alleyway. So she glances back and forth between the smiling man and the barren, narrow path before her.

"My present is ... down there?" Viva asks hesitantly, squinting down the alleyway. Despite it being broad daylight, it was hard to see even a few steps down the path, "Dojoon-"

"Viva" Dojoon cuts in sharply, eyes narrowed as he demands, "You trust me. Don't you?"

She didn't. But it was a matter of respect. And if Viva didn't go down the alleyway, then Dojoon would feel disrespected. And in the mafia, disrespect wasn't taken lightly. Besides, what was the worst he could do? It wasn't like he could have her murdered in broad daylight.

"Of course I do." Viva tells him with as much of an convincing smile as she can manage. She removes her hands from her coat pockets and takes a hesitant step forward, "I guess I'll be back then."

Dojoon gives her one last smile before she heads into the alleyway. The space is slightly cramped and much too dark. Viva places her hands on each side of the wall to help guide her. All the while, she's wondering just what Dojoon has waiting for her on the other side. But she doesn't have to wait long to find out.