[32]

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

THE FINAL WARNING

[July 2nd, 1982]

-

MANNY

MANNY

"Something doesn't feel right."

Manny stares out of the open window of her limousine silently. Jongin had left earlier that day for Baekhyun and Viva's get together, and ever since, she had been unable to shake the bad feeling that lingered in his absence. She had tried everything to distract herself: she had called Jade over to bake cookies, only to nearly burn them all in her distracted state, she had walked around the baby's room, making note of what she had and still needed, and she had even tried to go to sleep early, only to toss and turn restlessly.

Finally, she demanded she be taken to her boutique. It was the one place that was a true haven to her - there, she felt safe. The boutique was something she had control over, a true comfort when living a lifestyle that she had no say in.

"You're probably just being paranoid." Jade, who had been kind enough to stay by her side for the entire night, assures, reaching over and grabbing her hand gently, "Everything is fine."

Jade smiles at her, and with the company of Alex, one of her father's former henchmen, there to protect her, she should have been able to relax. But Manny wasn't convinced. She had the same feeling as the few hours before she had been told about Kyungsoo's death and her father's suicide. Something felt off, and it was only a matter of time before it would reveal itself.

"What would you like to do?" Alex asks from where he's seated closest to the window separating them from the driver. After leaving the boutique, they had been merely cruising the nighttime New York streets because Manny was too afraid to return to her home. She knew too many people in their lifestyle who had died in their homes. She didn't want to be next.

"I want to see Jongin." She says, because her husband made her feel safe, and right now, she felt as if the grim reaper himself was following her.

"I don't think that's a good idea, princesa." Alex tells her as gently as possible, though his hesitant look made it clear that he was conflicted with disobeying her orders or his new bosses', "The boss hasn't called or anything, which probably means nothing, but we can't be too sure. And his orders haven't changed. We can't bring you anywhere that he is unless he gives the clear, and I'm sorry, but he hasn't done that yet-"

"A phone call?" Manny interrupts, voice shaky with emotion. She surprises them when she snatches her hand from Jade and backs herself into the nearest corner, curling into herself like a frightened child, "You want me to wait for a phone call?"