Is What They Do

"Flash, I can't do this. I can't sit through another lecture. I don't want to cry in front of him." I say, wiping my eyes. Flash, my guardian, sits on his knees. He grabs my shoulders, lightly, and takes a deep breath.

"Listen to me, Sarah, I love you. I'd do anything for you, but I'm not real. I'm just an imaginary friend, and I can't physically stop your dad from hurting you." Flash quips. I push into him, in a hug, and let the tears fall.

"I know Flash. I just wish I didn't have to go out there." I say, broken. Flash tightens his arms around my waist, so I know he's there.

"Just talk to me afterwards. Let me untwist his words. I'll be by your side. I love you Sarah."

"I love you too." I say as I stand up. I open my door and walk to the living room. My dad looks up from his desk and waves me to sit on the couch.

"Have a seat." he says. I look behind me, at Flash, and he nods for me to sit. I sink into the cushion as Flash sits beside. Flash puts his left arm against my chest like he was defending me. I sit up straighter.

"So, why weren't you at school today?" dad asks, calmly.

"It was senior-skip day, dad. The seniors were allowed to skip." I say.

"You should've been at school. I'm not letting my kids set a bad example for everyone else."

"The school let me."

"You still skipped. You're lucky this is your last year." dad warns.

"Why am I lucky?" I ask as Flash leans forward.

"Because if you had another year, maybe, I'd have to go to class with you. To make sure you stayed the whole time." dad laughs.

"Cool, thats actually pretty neat." I chirp.

"Probably get you more homework, you know, for extra credit?" dad snaps. He was trying to hurt me.

"So, I'd get smarter. Yah it is too bad I won't be there next year." I say, frowning.

"Don't use that tone with me."

"What tone?" I ask. 

"You know what you're doing. Now talk to me with respect!" dad yells. I don't even know what I did.

"Ok, I'm sorry." I lie. 

"What were you doing that was so important that you had to skip today?"

"I was relaxing because you know I'd have to work if I had gone."

"So, you had work that you could've done?" dad asks, his eyes widening.

"Well, yah. The school finds a way." I say, smiling.

"No more skipping." he orders.

"Honestly, I couldn't skip even if I wanted to. That was the only senior-skip day." I point.

"Do you hear what I'm saying?" dad asks.

"Yes. I won't skip anymore." I say.

"You can go to your room now." dad says, letting me go. I race Flash to my room and close the door.

"That wasn't too bad." Flash says, hopping on my bed, his black cloak rippling.

"Yah, it was ok this time. I didn't cry, but the anger was still there." I point.

"Yah, I don't know why your dad is so mad when he talks to you." Flash says, quietly.

"Me neither." I say, softly. I pull my blankets around me.

"Are you going to be ok?" Flash asks as I nod.

"I hope so." I say, snuggling into my pillow. I don't see Flash anymore. He's still in my room.