chapter twenty eight

sebastian frantically phoned his mom but there was no answer he rang his grandparents then again there was no answer.

" seb" skylar shouted from down the hallway.

" sky" sebastian said as his cousin arrived out of breath at his dorm.

" have you heard" skylar asked as he tried to breathe.

" yeah who has he hurt" sebastian asked fear gripping him rachel held him tightly.

" martin" skylar said

" is my mom ok" sebastian asked

" as far as i know i dont think she was there when it happened martin is in westerville general hospital ward nineteen my mom rang me to tell you she wanted you to find out face to face " skylar said

"i have to go see him" sebastian said

" im coming to he might not be my actual uncle but he is family" skylar said

" rach" sebastian said

"ofcourse im coming with you" rachel said the three of them ran all the way to sebastian's car.

at the hospital

they rushed in and ran to the elevator once they were inside it they stood in silence looking at each other not knowing what to say. they had no idea of the condition martin was in and sebastian was devastated for his mom.

finally they reached ward nineteen and made their way through the ward looking atvthe patients innthe beds trying to find him.

" can i help you" a friendly looking nurse asked.

" we are looking for martin smythe " sebastian said

" are you family" she asked

" he is my uncle but more like a dad " sebastian said the nurse nodded

" follow me he already has a visitor she seems quite upset so she might want privacy " the nurse said

" it will be my mom" sebastian said

they walked down the corridor and the nurse stopped outside a private room she gave them a warm smile before walking away.

" if your mom is with him should we stay out here" skylar asked

" you and rach tay here i have to see how he us and i need to see that my mom is ok" sebastian said he turned and gave rachel a quick kiss before taking a deep breath and walking into the room. what he saw broke his heart martin was laid surrounded by wires and tubes he was asleep. his mom was stood by his bed stroking his hair watching him intently it was like she was in a world of his own.

sebastian walked over to her hoping he didnt startle her she still had no idea he was there until he placed his arm around her.

" mom" sebastian said

" oh seb" she said and turned and hugged him sobbing.

" is he going to be ok" sebastian asked he didnt want to upset her but he meeded to know.

" he has a swelling on his brain the doctors are trying to reduce it so they put him in a mecical induced coma" she said.

" do you know what happened " sebastian asked

" no i was at home baking when my cell rang i was covered in flour so nora answered it i knew with her face it wasnt good i was worried it was you . Once nora was off the phone she told me it was the hospital and tbat nartin had been brought in with a head injury as a result of an assault. naturally we all knew who had done it anyway it turned out he had..." maggie said but broke down.

" its ok" sebastian said hugging her.

"he had me in his phone as my maggie...thats why they rung me" she said before dobbing hysterically she crumbled to the floor with sebastian still holding her.

" oh mom" sebastian said his emotions getting the better of him they both sat there on the floor sobbing holding each other.

then the door opened and sebastian turned expecting rachel or skylar but it was his grandad sebastian got up so his grandad could manoeuvre his wheelchair.

" maggie " sj said softly

" oh dad" she said

" come here my precious girl" sj said maggie got up and hugged her dad.

" seb" sj said holding out his hand which sebastian took.

" now you two listen to me martin is a smythe he is a tough cookie if anyone can recover from this he can and he has good reasons too and those reasons are what im looking at. " sj said

" he is right mom" sebastian said maggie nodded but she was heartbroken.

" now i know its difficult for you maggie but i would like a word with martin alone" sj said

" dad he is unconscious " maggie said

" doesnt mean i cant take to him does it" sj said wiping tears from maggie's face.

" ok" maggie said though it was clear the tthought of leaving martin was hard she stood looking at him for a few minutes before taking sebastian's hand and let him lead her out of the room.

sj

" now then martin i know you can here me tbey always say the hearing is there when people are unconscious. now then let me get to the point as i know maggie wants to be back in her with you. i want you to know that lily and i know about you and our maggie and we know with her marrying that bastard things are complicated. however i want my daughter yo be happy i have seen her unhappy for far to long so you have to fight this martin. you have to do everything you can to get better because she needs you so does seb this is it martin you have to fight for her. i promise we will all accept the two of you and who cares what anybody else thinks all that matters is what was tampered with all those years aho is put right. you two should be together your her soulmate i knew it the moment i met you i never liked tbat bastard. anyway that enough talking i will let your maggie be by your side again. " sj said before wheeling himself out of the room.

" dad" maggie said she was been hugged by her mom.

" you go back into him love" sj said maggie nodded and walked in.

" shall i take you home" lily asked

" no i want to see charles " sj said

" but..." lily started to say.

" grandad" sebastian said he was cuddling rachel.

" he has spent eighteen years making my daughters life a living hell and now she has the opportunity to be happy he has tried to take that away from her im not going to sit by and let him. i might be sick but i am first and foremost a father and he has hurt my little girl and im not going to sit back and do nothing." sj said

" fine i will take you there but only if i can give him a piece of my mind too" lily said

" ofcourse my dear " sj said

" im coming with you" sebastian said

" no" sj said

" she is my mom im protective of her too" sebastian said j reavhed over and grabbed his hand.

" which is why i need you here with her we cant all go can we if you want to hurt your dad you stay here with your mom and with martin that will do it. i seem it seb she needs you here and i need to know she is been looked after will you do that for me" sj asked

" yes..,but if he mentions me tell him..." sebastian started to say.

" i think i know what you would like to say to him but in guessing this place isnt the place for such strong language" sj said

then he and lily left sebastian was clinging to rachel skylar was watching his grandparents leaving.

" im going to get us a coffee" skylar said and walked away.

" if he doesnt make it whats going to happen to my mom" sebastian asked rachel cuddled him tightly.