Chapter Five

Erika POV: I'm shocked by his harsh words. He had always been so kind and gentle with me; I never expected him to be so scathing. I grab his shoulder. "I love you. I love you so much and you know that. I'm committed to you forever and this reality show doesn't mean anything to me. It's just a way to earn money. And I'm not selling myself out, I'm trying to save my family!" I could feel tears forming in my eyes. He pushes my hand away. "Erika, I get that, but this is too far. Imagine how I'll feel if you go on the show and I have to watch you cuddling up with some other dude. Try and put yourself in my shoes." By now I could feel the tears start to run down my face. "You think I want to do this?? I don't! But I have to. Why can't you understand?" Anthony groans. "Listen, if you go on the show, then I think it's best if we take a break." He turns away from me. I take a shaky breath. This was going much, much worse than I had anticipated. "Is that what you really want?" I ask. He doesn't reply. I take a deep breath. "Well, I already applied. I can't change that. And I wasn't sure before, but if I'm picked I'm definitely going on. I never expected you to be so unsupportive. If this is how you're going to be, even after knowing how fucked up my situation is, then maybe we should take a break." With that I throw the door open and run as fast as I can away from him.

Four Days Later-

Los Angeles, California
Jake POV: I stare at my reflection in the mirror; adjusting my suit and fixing up my hair. In ten minutes I would have to go on live television and begin my journey to "find love". Thankfully; we had received thousands up thousands of applications, so guess I wasn't a complete loser. But it didn't mean I would actually find someone through this. I take a deep breath. "Even if you hate all the girls, remember what this will do for your brand. You could even become a household name," I think to myself. Even though I told myself that, I knew deep down I wanted to truly fall in love. I sigh, and go to take my place on stage. Here goes nothing.

Bedford, Michigan-
Erika POV: My family is huddled around the television, anxiously awaiting the start of "The Bachelor". While I hadn't told my siblings I had sent it an application, they were all still engrossed by the show anyway. I go to shut off my phone as it lights up for maybe the hundredth time today. Anthony had been calling me all day long, but I didn't want to talk to him. He had really hurt me. I sigh; and go back to watching the tv. Finally, the theme music for the show plays and the host enters the screen. "Good evening, America!" he yells. "I'm sure all of you are ready for this exciting, beautiful journey. We'll travel far and wide. We'll see exotic dates, cat fights and new friendships form. We'll watch our contestants love, laugh and cry with one another. It all leads up to that moment when Jake presents his chosen girl with the Kay Jewelers 14k diamond necklace."' The host pauses to motion to a picture of said necklace. I was stunned; it was absolutely gorgeous. "I'll like to quickly thank our sponsor, Kay Jewelers. Every kiss begins with Kay. We'll be back after a short commercial break."