Chapter Eight

Five Hours Later-
Erika POV: "Hoped off the plane at LAX, with a dream and my cardigan," I hum to myself as I exit the flight. I was full of excitement, wonder and curiosity. I could already feel the energy of the city running through me; a buzz that I had never felt before. While the plane was landing, I had stared out the window and seen the full glory of Los Angeles; and all the endless possibilities that were waiting for me. Somehow, I just knew something big was waiting for me. I hoped this city wouldn't let me down. I walked out of the airport, into the pickup area and spotted the limo driver with my name. Soon I was cruising down the roads; and everything was just as I had imagined and more. It was so different from everything that I had ever known. I was completely in awe.
I climb out of the car and stand in front of the hotel; unsure of how to feel. I was still hyped up from just being in LA, but I was scared to meet the other contestants, all of whom were staying in the hotel together. In the next two days we were going to learn how the show worked, how to behave on national television, pick roommates and my favorite part-get makeovers. Taking a deep breath I walk through the doors and enter the lobby. Immediately; I'm immersed in a crowd of people. I blink in confusion for a second, until I feel a hand clasp my arm. "The last one, Erika Costell is here," yells the woman gripping my arm. She drags me to a chair in a corner and plops me down. "Hi Erika, my name is Isa. I'll be here to teach, help and guide you in the next two days. For now, here's some paperwork you need to fill. Once you're done I'll begin coaching on everything you need to know." I nod, and Isa runs off to attend to the next contestant. I began to fill out the forms; and the many questions about every aspect of my life. As I'm doing this, I look around and catch the eyes of another girl. She smiles at me, and walks over to where I was sitting. "Hey, I'm Erika. I'm a contestant on the show," I say, holding out my hand. "Hi! I'm Tessa, another contestant," she replies. I was a bit taken aback. I had expected all the girls to be catty and cold, but Tessa was welcoming and sweet. Nothing like I'd imagined. "So, are you excited?" she asks. I shrug. "I'm excited but I'm really nervous too. How about you?" She grins. "I'm beyond excited! Jake is sooo cute. I can't believe I got picked." I felt my heart sink. How would I last long competing against girls who actually liked him? "Yeah, he's not too bad to look at," I say half-heartedly. She laughs. "That's one way to put it. Anyways, I gotta go finish up some stuff, hope we talk again soon." I smile as she bounces away. Even from just five minutes of talking to her, I already could tell how genuine and kind she was. I laugh to myself. A douche like Jake did not deserve to have girls like Tessa obsessing over him.