Chapter Twenty One

Erika POV: "Erika? Erika?" I feel someone shake my shoulders; I slowly open my eyes and realize that it's Tessa. "It's like 10:30, get up! I've been trying to wake you up forever!" I nod, and slip out of my covers. Tessa immediately gives me a weird look. "You weren't wearing that jacket when you went to bed, were you?" Uh oh. I had forgotten to give the jacket back to Jake, and I had absentmindedly gone to bed without taking it off. She squints. "Wait, is it even yours?" She looks closer, then gasps. "That's Jake's jacket!" I didn't know what to say. "When we went on our date yesterday he was wearing this exact jacket! Clearly it's big for you, and-" she leans in and sniffs me. "Smells just like him too!" She backs away, and falls onto her bed. "You guys were together last night? How is that possible? How long?! Did you go to his room? Did you do what I think you did?" She looks away. "I can't believe he wouldn't even kiss me, but slept with you on the first day." Tears started to  brim in her eyes. God, I had to calm things down. "Tessa, listen. It's not what it looks like. Not even close." She sniffs. "Can you trust me? I'll tell you the truth, but you have to believe it." She looks up at me for a bit, then nods. I take a deep breath. "Well, it all started when my mom lost her job." I then told Tessa everything, from why I really came on the show to what I was doing with Jake last night. "You know, as crazy as your story is, I believe it. Erika, I'm really sorry for freaking out. You didn't deserve that." "No, don't be sorry. Tessa, you're a great friend." She smiles. "I feel the same way about you. But I have to ask, on the walk did he say anything about me?" I decide to sugar-coat the truth. "Yeah, he said you were really pretty and funny." She beams. "I'm so happy to hear that. Also, I'm confused, you're just going to eventually eliminate yourself? You don't even want to give Jake a shot?" I laugh. "He's a great guy, but I don't think we could ever be a couple." She raises her eyebrows. "You were out all night talking to each other for hours and hours. Sounds like two people who would make a great couple."