Chapter Forty

The Bachelor Ball-

Anthony POV: I stood in a corner; a tray of appetizers balanced in my hand. The Bachelor Ball was underway, and it was quite the setup. I'd never seen anything like it. The ballroom was draped in gold toned tapestries, a glittering chandelier hung in the center and there was even a large chocolate fountain in one corner. All the staff was working the event, and I having a great time. Then he entered. On television he had looked unreal, like a ken doll. And he wasn't much different in real life. He dripped of charm, wealth and fame, but I just knew that he was a sleaze. But every girl was falling for it. Even my own. My eyes follow him as he mingles with guests, until I hear a commotion from the left. The entire place silences. "The ladies are here," announces a woman I recognize as manager Sylvia. She moves away, and the girls enter in a singular line. I try my best to spot Erika, and when I do, my mouth drops open. She's breathtaking. She's in a beautiful blue dress, her hair up with jewels sparkling on her neck. My heart aches. There was nothing I wanted more than to have her in my arms. Then faster than I can blink, Jake is with her. I see her eyes light up as he looks her up and down, her smile as he hugs her. Even when he leaves to greet the other girls, they still seem to be attached to one another. I observe throughout the night as they dance and chat with others; neither go a few minutes without glancing at one another. And when they finally come together to dance, it's like they never really separated. They couldn't tear their eyes away from each other, and neither could I. Song after song they cling to each other, swaying and spinning and smiling. He even picks her up and spins her around; a clear infraction or ballroom protocol. She just had laughed and laughed and laughed, while I felt like my heart was being beaten to death. I watch them until I couldn't take it any longer. I exit the ballroom and as I walk down the hall I notice a small commotion by the door. I watch as a producer pushes one of the cameraman outside. "Are you crazy?! Keep keep filming, keep filming! This is great," he whispers.

Back at the ballroom-

Erika POV: Jake twirls me around. "Erika, you look like a princess." I chuckle. "You already said that. Twice." He pulls me in closer. "My bad. I guess your beauty has given me memory loss." I roll my eyes, and rest my head on his shoulder. Though we had been dancing for ages, it somehow felt like no time had passed. It was other worldly. I raise my head and we begin to lean in for a kiss when I feel someone yank my shoulder. Startled, I turn to see a nervous looking assistant. "Jake. You'll want to see this. You too, Erika." Jake and I exchange a confused look, then break apart. We follow the assistant out of the ballroom, through the hall, and down toward an unusual swelling of people near a side door. I could see cameras, producers and several staff members in the crowd. Was that Anthony? I squint as we walk closer to see what was going on. The cameras immediately turn to us. Chad walks to us slowly. I could feel the cameras zoom in. "Jake, I don't know how to tell you this. But we just caught Tessa Brooks with another guy. She was outside, making out with the YouTuber Kian Lawley." My mouth drops open. I hurry out the door, and I'm met with the sight of a trembling Tessa and a disoriented looking Kian. He has lipstick stains on his face and neck, and her hair is a mess. "Tessa?" "Erika!" She cries out. I let her fall into my arms. "Tessa, my god. What happened?" "Kian and I were talking and he was really funny and cute and we hit it off and next thing you know we're outside making out." She wipes a tear. "And a few minutes in, I turn around and see a cameraman filming us." She lowers her voice. "You know I never felt anything for Jake. But just five minutes with Kian I felt more chemistry than I could imagine." I pat her head. "Oh, Tessa." She buries her head into my shoulder. "I'm done for. I know I'm getting kicked out, and when they air this my reputation is forever ruined." I look up to see the cameras capturing our every word. "They won't air this." She looks up at me with bleary eyes. "That's real funny." The executive producer suddenly claps his hands. "Alright Erika, that's enough. It's time for Jake and her to talk."