Chapter Thirty Nine

Erika POV: This morning had started off magically, a dance in the rain that was straight out of the movies. Drenched; I had returned to my room and narrated the whole event to Tessa, who thought it was the cutest thing she'd ever heard. While Jake and Tessa didn't have any hope, she was staying on due to her popularity with the audience. In fact, half the girls left were only here because of the producers wish. And me? Well, I knew Jake and I had a genuine connection, but apparently I was also a hit with the audience. At least that's what my mom told me when were allowed to phone home earlier. "Erika, you're a star!" she had squealed. "Everyone loves your spirit and humble roots. And you don't even know how popular your pairing with Jake is! Jerika is super popular." "Jerika?" "That's your ship name! Everyone is rooting for you two." I felt myself smile. It was nice to know that people liked me, liked us together. "I want to talk to her!!" I chuckled as I heard my siblings grab at the phone. "Erika I told you Jake was going to go crazy for you!" I laughed. "Yes you did Max, yes you did." It was my first time speaking to my family in months, and I couldn't have been happier. I could hear my mom take the phone back. "Sweetheart, I couldn't thank you enough. You've changed our lives forever, and I'm forever grateful for your sacrifice. I love you." I could hear the sincerity in her voice. "I love you too, mom. And don't worry, it wasn't that much of a sacrifice. I've had the time of my life." "Wonderful. But I have to ask, are you falling for him?" I sighed. While I was confused about where my heart was at this point, I knew for certain that I felt something for Jake. Something deep. "Maybe?" "Erika, as your mom I can tell you truly like this guy. And as a viewer, I can tell Jake has fallen for you. I watch all the dates; from his hikes with Jenna to his mini golfing with Riley. I watch him hug Tessa, smile at Michelle and makeout with Ashley." I cringe at the mention of the makeout. "But you and Jake have something incomparable. It's pure magic to watch." I laugh. "Ok mom." "No, seriously! If only you could watch yourself with him. Then you'd get it." I go to reply when I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Time to wrap up," whispers Sylvia. "Alright mom, I gotta go."

Next Day-

Erika POV: I laugh, and lean my head onto
Leah's shoulder as Jenna narrates her story about her twin sister. There was only ten of us girls left, and we all had gotten to be very close. Even Michelle was doing her best to be cordial with everyone. I was happy to have made so many new friends. We all talk until we're interrupted by the door flying open. "Girls! I have some exciting news!" All of us turn to see Sylvia hurry toward us. "So as you know, there is only ten of you left. Which means it's time for the grand Bachelor Ball!" My face broke out in a smile. This sounded exciting. "Tonight all of you will be dressed exquisitely and enjoy an elegant evening at Jake's mansion. Several influencers and youtubers will be present, as well as other important industry members. I expect you all to be on your best behavior." She pauses to look around. "The stylists will be over to help pick out your gowns shortly, as well as makeup artists to do your makeup. I'll have to leave to help arrange things, but I'll be back at six to escort you. Hope you're excited!" She smiles, then exits as fast as she entered. All of us turn back and look at each other in silence. Then we begin to squeal. "This is the fanciest thing I've ever done!" yells Jenna. "Wow, all the big youtubers are going to be there oh my," says a grinning Tessa. More than excited; we all got up to start preparing. I had my makeup, hair and nails all done professionally, and though I had already been dressed up this way on the first night, this was much more exciting. I was looking forward to seeing Jake; seeing his reaction to me. I wanted to look the best I could for him. And so the stylists were soon at our mansion; fitting us and helping us chose a look. "This is the one. This has got to be the one," said my stylist as she smoothed out a royal blue gown. I nodded in agreement; the color and fit suited me well. She spun me around. "Erika, you look perfect. And you know Jake's favorite color is blue?" I smiled.
"Oh, I know."