Chapter 21

Brooke hummed as she picked up around the island house. She could hear the sound of Ian singing in the shower. She chuckled to herself as she rolled her eyes to his ridiculousness. As she picked up his dress jacket, a folded piece of paper fell onto the floor. She turned back and picked it up. As she was about to place it back into the pocket, she did a double take at the documents title, "Release of Liability", the more she studied the document, the more her lip quivered from emotional pain. She raised her shaking hand to her mouth as her mind threw her back to the day of her accident.

She's running from a man. As she turned back to see him closing in on her, she then ran into a tall man with cold eyes. Instead of helping her, he shoved against her in anger. Her eyes widened in fear as she tried to gain her footing. The last thing she saw was the man's cold expression turn to concern as she steps into oncoming traffic. 

Brooke's lip continued to quiver as she thought to herself, "He never loved you. You're such a fool. He used you to get you to sign his release." She silently sobbed as she pressed the document to her chest. The pain seemed to be more than she could bear as her mind taunted her, "Oh God. I.. I can't take this.. I feel as though I'm dying.." She gulped as she took the document to the trash can but stopped. She turned back to his jacket and pulled the pen from the pocket. She held her breath as she signed it, "Brooke Donovan." She gasped as she realized she signed her last unknown name.  She frantically thought, "Donovan..? Dear God! That was the last name of the man Teacher had conditioned her for. This could only mean one thing; Brooke was a married woman."

Ian whistled as he entered the kitchen with nothing but a towel wrapped around his muscular torso, but immediately stopped when he noticed that she discovered the document. He had a lump in his throat as he looked into her pain stricken  eyes, "Brooke.."

"It work. I signed it. You will not have to worry about me or my husband wanting to sue you for your fortune." Her voice shook with anger as she spoke.

Ian's face eased into a cold stare, "Husband?"

Brooke stepped back as he quickly and heavily stepped to her. She flenched as he ripped the paper from her hands and read the signature, "Brooke Donovan." He turned his cold glare to her, "How did you..?"

She carelessly rolled her eyes and shoulders as tears eased down her face, "It just came to me after I realized you were the one that caused my accident."

"Why did you sign it if you remembered?"

She scoffed a cried filled laugh, "Because Ian, I don't want your money." She paused for a moment, "Or you."

Ian's face turned to hurt as he took a step towards her, "That's not true.."

He tried to touch her, but she stepped away as she slightly lifted her arms, "No.. Ian.. Just stop lying to me for God sakes, and take me back."

"To what Brooke?! You were obviously trying to escape something! What was it?! Who was it?!"

Brooke ran both of her hands through her hair, "Just stop.."

But Ian's anger continued, "A husband that starved his wife. Who bought her from a trafficker?! That stole her childhood by tortured, beating, and brainwashed her into an empty shell?!"

Brooke couldn't take it anymore, "Yes I want to go back to that! At least I know it's real, but you.. I could take what you just said to me over and over, but you lying to me. Making me believe that you actually loved me.. Hurts more than anything. I so wished that you had just asked me to sign it the day you paid for my hospital bill, and I would have gladly done it."

Ian took another step towards her, "Don't do this.."

Brooke looked down as she stepped away, "I appreciate, everything you have shown, and shared with me, but this lie is over."

He held his breath as she turned and walked away. As soon as she left the room, Ian ran to his jacket pocket and pulled out his phone.

Dr. Calvin Andrews was surprised at the phone call, "Hello Ian. Is everything alright with Brooke?"

"No, I've done something terrible."