Morning Surprise

Author's Note: YES I did change the cover. The old one looks better for a different idea I have going on~

The world swayed to the right, and your body followed to that weight after Ruby hung up. The side of your body crashed into the floor with a heavy thud. But you didn't feel a lick of pain, and just laid quietly with tears finally falling. Ruby coming out to get you? The grand finale was back, and although laced with tension, was a sensation. Even if you had to remain neutral to knowing them, all would be worth it.
    That day, you checked out of the motel with some of the last bits of money to your name and gathered your stuff into the backpack. Your savings were dangerously low then. You wandered aimlessly, and eventually hit up the back of the House of Blues when night hit. With no clue when Ruby would come, you wanted to be ready for it. You slept soundly- adrenal exhaustion makes any brick wall feel wonderful, dreamt about nothing, and woke up instantly when the sunlight grazed your cheek, accompanied by a distinct mechanical humming. Rubbing your eyes into focus, you stretched against the rustic wall. You must have slept awhile, because behind the building, sunlight didn't climb around until early in the afternoon. The sun was nearly in the pinnacle of the sky above.

Once the morning blur left your eyes, you yelled aloud.
"YO WHAT-", Your words fizzled out as a dark car hit the breaks suddenly and stopped on point.
The back door opened and the man himself jumped out of the backseat adjusting his hat and looking around..
    "What on Earth- no yo, like, that's impressive.", you wheezed.

He knelt down and grabbed your backpack, "I got really lucky findin' a flight. Here I am yeah? Did you uh, sleep here or...?"
    You sighed, face burning up, "Doesn't matter. I wanna really thank you. I was about to be in a total dead-end place with life."
    "Yo, I'm glad that I'm here then. I used to be in a dead-end place with life too; that's why I started doin' music."
    "You wouldn't mind if I spent some time listening to it while we were apart, would you? It was pretty legit."
He beamed and helped you stand up, "Nah that's fine. I'm glad you like it actually. Usually it... kinda gets pushed to the side by anyone without a lil' understanding."
"After the shitshow life has been, I understand a lot I guess.", you murmured while following Ruby half-dazed to the car.

    He asked the Uber driver to head towards a certain cafe he had ate at before while in Dallas, and ended up paying for a late brunch. You threw down money for a tip, but he waved it off and told you to keep what you could. All of this time, you consistently felt as though everything was a dream. It was almost as though you had never woken up that very morning and had kept sleeping. Sitting down for breakfast with Ruby is pretty far out there for any fan who knows them. Yet, you felt really at home. Someone whose music had kept you so connected really created a deep underlying trust. And what about $crim? You thought about the odds of meeting him. Maybe those odds had just drastically improved.
You listened to Ruby murmur about how the tour was after you both parted ways. (Hectic, but really fun apparently.) You told him about the journey to Arizona, and the hitchhiker who probably had enough funds now to start a small life. He added some sympathy in when you sighed and stirred a coffee. Again, you felt bitter, but deep down perhaps ecstatic. That incident could have been a blessing in disguise (as if blessings exist). As a result, you found the courage to call up Ruby, right?
"So, any song you like the most?", he interjected to change the subject.
You finished the last bit of hashbrowns and stared at your hands intensely, "Dude, I wish I could tell ya. Too much, okay? Maybe if you didn't have hours of music I could make a choice."
Ruby was flattered and rolled his eyes, "Damn, sorry for doing my job too well."
He stood and pulled his hood back on, "Aight whatever, let's go somewhere and chat about other things."
"Other things...? Like what...?"
Ruby flipped a generous tip down on the table, "About New Orleans."