Chapter 19

"You work for the CIA?" Aaron asked for the millionth time.

"Yes, Aaron. I kind of do." I told him patiently.

Summer has been quiet all this time. After I called Lucy and told her about Lydia, she sent an agent to take care of her.

Brianne and Ryder arrived shortly after. Currently we all are sitting in the same room, with Summer and Ryder sharing the bed, Aaron and Brianne sitting on the plastic chairs and Asher sitting on the couch next to me.

"I'm sorry" Aaron said after a short silence. "I shouldn't have talked to you like that... If it wasn't you then a few minutes ago, Summer and Ash would have...." He trailed off.

"It's okay Aaron. You guys are my friends. I would save you all in a heartbeat."

"Thank you" That was Summer. She rested her head on Ryder's shoulder as she looked at me. I smiled back at her.

Asher put his hand around my shoulder and pulled me close, so that we were almost cuddling.

"Summer... Do you remember his face? Is he someone we know?"

She frowned. "No, I don't know him. But I remember how he looks. Blonde hair, green eyes. I think he is a few years older than us."

"Okay. Whoever he is, he is a dead man." I said through gritted teeth.

"Did he say something?"

"He said whatever happened to me, is because of you. And he also told me to back off, but I don't know from what!"

"I think I do. It was a warning." I looked at Brianne. "To me."

So I told them the whole story. From me being assigned to protect Asher to whatever happened yesterday.

"Wow" Ryder said as I finished telling them.

"What is your name? Is it even Eli James?" Summer asked me. I felt Asher stiffen. I know he's dying to ask me the same question.

"Kind of. I don't normally change names for a project, but the CIA is very keen about changing names. Eli is short for my real name. It's Elina James Everett." I finally told them.

"It's a nice name." Bri said smiling at me.

"Yeah. But it brings back too many memories. My father used to call me that. So, I go by Lena. But you guys can call me Eli, El, whatever you like to."

"I think we'll stick with Eli." Aaron said and they all agreed.

There was a knock on the door. It opened slightly and a head peeped in.

"Eli..." Jake said as his eyes met mine.

"Jake, come in." I turned to the group and said to them-

"Guys, this is Jacob. He is my trainer and my best friend, considering he is one of the few people I talk to." I smiled at them as they exchanged polite greetings.

"He'll be here in case you guys need any.... Help and I'm not around."

"And if you excuse us..." Asher wrapped an arm around my waist and kissed my cheek. "We have somewhere to go"

"We do?" I asked him.

"Yeah, we do. We need to go somewhere private." He winked at me. I try hard to hide my blush. What can I say? I might kill a person in the blink of an eye... But it still takes time to get used to small acts of affection.

Suddenly the two girls start gushing about how cute I and Ash look together. Unfortunately joined by Jake, who apparently thinks the same. The boys soon join the conversation.

I know I am getting emotionally attached to these people. But they are making me feel the way I never did before. They are making me feel the warmth inside my chest, that I thought was frozen after Cindy died.

I know they are my weakness. But I also know that they make me stronger. They give me a reason to live.

They are the best things that has ever happened to me.