Chapter 14

I could hear muffled voices coming from my bedroom. People we're rushing in and out.

I sat down on the couch, watching the TV screen. It was turned off, but I wasn't in my senses anymore.

You failed.

My mind reminded me. I was here for one job and I couldn't do it.  I never failed. 

I turned my head towards the front door as I heard it open. A frantic Lucy walked in.

"Where is he?" She demanded someone. I couldn't hear the reply as I zoned out.

I kept upbraiding my self for failing at a simple task.

What if anything happens to him?

What if he dies?

The questions kept eating me from the inside. It was past midnight.

I closed my eyes and thought of today's incidents.

First, my supposed best friend called me to invite for a movie. In the next minute she was stabbed. The voice of the person sounded oddly familiar, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

Next, Asher. He was hit by a dart and hasn't woken up in hours.

When did they do it? Why wasn't I aware of it?

Then it hit me. The conversation we had just before we pulled at my house.

"What's with your neck? You keep rubbing it?"

"It just stings. Maybe an insect." He shrugged it off.

The dart was so small that it was barely visible.  And he passed away after a few minutes..

'What if that's not a dart?' My mind said.

'What else could it be?' I questioned back.

'I don't know. A tracking device?'

My eyes widened at the thought.

Maybe.. just maybe..

But why would he pass out?

Back to square one..

"Lena?" I heard Jake say from beside me.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?" He sat next to me.

"No. I'm not. How can I be Jake? One of my friends got stabbed the other is unconscious, both on the same night... I'm not okay" I told him with my voice calm.

"We found out" he said. "It wasn't a dart"

"I knew it" I muttered.

"So you solved it, huh?"

"I have an idea.." I shrugged.

"It is...?"

"Maybe.. just maybe... It's a tracking device?"

Jake's eyes widened.

"You are good at it. We sat there for hours testing to find what it is... You just sit here and find out? I'm so proud of you, Lena" He said trying to lighten up the mood.

"It's not a thing to joke about, Jake."

He was about to say something else, but my phone rang. I jumped at the sound and took it out of my pocket.

It was Aaron.

Why was he calling now?

"Aaron?" I said with an unsure voice.
"Is something wrong?" It was almost one in the morning.

"Nothing's wrong. Summer woke up. She said she wants to talk to you."

"Okay" was all I said before there was a little shuffling.

"What is going on?" I heard Summer say to me. And she sounded angry.

"Summer, are you okay? How are you feeling?" I greeted ignoring the beating of my heart.

"Not the time for the pleasantries, Eli James... Or whatever your name is." My breath hitched. " I need an explanation, now" she said, more like yelled.

"Summer, take some rest. I'll tell you tomorrow. Now is not a good time" I said with a sigh.

"Fine. But tomorrow you are going to tell the truth, not only to me, but all the five of us."

"Asher knows" I told her. "And it's better if I tell you. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay" she breathed

"Summer?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry. For everything that happened and that is going to happen. It's partially my fault." I told her truthfully.

"Goodnight, El"

"Goodnight, see you tomorrow" I told before hanging up.

Jake raised an eyebrow at my phone conversation. I just shook my head and asked-

"What else did you find?"

"The small, dart like thing is actually a tracking device, which you already figured out. It also contains a little sedative, which makes the person attached unconscious for a few hours. But the drug doesn't start to kick in for a few minutes. It's a great way to kill someone immediately after they have lost consciousness or to kidnap them. It works either way." He finished with a shrug.

"So their plan did not work. They weren't expecting him to come here."

"Yeah, kind of. Maybe they were expecting him to be somewhere else"

"The hospital" I whispered.

"What?"

"The hospital.. one of his friends have been stabbed and admitted to the hospital. They were expecting him to be there or on the way... Stabbing Summer was just a bait to get him out there. They did not expect me in the picture."

"Yeah, they did not find you as a threat." He said with a small smile.

"So... Who made those things? Is there any giveaway? Any clue?"

"There was the company logo" I laughed at that...

"They are plain stupid.." I said thinking of the possibility.. "or wanted to frame someone"

"I go with the stupid option" Jake said.

"Yeah, me too. What company is it by the way?"

"Go figure" he said with an evil glint in his eyes..

So I thought, does the company make such weapons... Or was it made especially for a special someone...

What is the famous company around here that manufacturer these kind of things..?

Only one name flashed in my mind.

I looked at Jake to say the name. But before I can utter a word, he spoke-

"Damn right. You got it" and he walked away.

The color in my face drained and I suddenly felt sick.

Now I really hope, someone was framing the company...

Hales Industry.

~*~