Chapter 27

"we are going somewhere" I announce the next morning.

"We as in?" Tyler asked, his voice raspy from sleep.

"Me and Asher. We have somewhere to be. We'll be gone for the whole day. Take care of yourself." I told them sipping my coffee.

"Why can't we come?" Jake asked giving me a skeptical look.

"Jake, you need to take rest. You just got shot. You can't come with us." I told him sternly.

"Okay. Be careful." He gave up.

Last night was really hectic. We called Lucy and told her about Richard. She sent some people to take his body away.

Olivia was still asleep. I really hope she will be fine when she wakes up.

"Where are we going?" Asher asked as we made our way towards my car.

"You'll see." I replied starting the car.

After Asher got in, we made our way out of the city.

"Do I know this place?' Ash asked after a few minutes of silence.

"No. You don't."

"Why don't you tell me?"

"We are going to my home. The house where I grew up. The house where all my memories are hidden." I told him.

He did not reply. It wasn't needed.

After a few hours of driving, I stopped the car in the driveway of the house I grew up in.

"It's a beautiful house." Asher commented as we got out of the car and made way to the front door.

"It is just a house now. A few years back it used to be a home." I told him thinking about how the life of this house was shot to death.

This place was never the same after Cindy died. The roses in the garden never grew back. The lawn was never maintained. The curtains and pillow cases were never color coded.

This house can never be a home again.

I unlocked the door and we walked in. Due to no one staying here for the past few years the house became dirty and the dirt started to form.

It looks more like an abandoned place with costly furniture.

I walked into the house towards the room that used to be my bedroom.

This place was never cleaned or sold because of all the memories it holds. It looks as if people would come back anytime. Except for the dust that got settled on the surfaces.

The bed I used to sleep in was made. The pillows in order. The blankets folded neatly at the edge of the bed.

I was always taught to make my bed as soon as I woke up. Cindy used to tell me that a clean room keeps my head clean and I could think clearly.

"Was this your room?" I almost forgot Asher was with me until he spoke. I nodded as I could not find my voice.

I kneeled under the bed and pulled out a box. It was a small silver box that I used to play with, as a kid.

I was a curious kid and loved collecting things that caught my attention.

I blew the dust from atop The box and opened it. The things inside the box were messy and not organized. It took me a few minutes to find what I was looking for. 

"I found it. Come on" I told Ash, who was busy looking at the photos lines up at the side of a wall.

"What is it? What are you going to do with the key?" He asked looking at what I was holding

"This is the key to the answers I hoped to get." I told him as we made way to the room which I did not step in for the past four years.

The room looked the same as before. The bed made, the things on the dresser organized. It looks as if Cindy was still alive.

My eyes teared as the familiar smell hit my nose. Slight smell of roses. That's what Cindy smelled like. Her smell did not fade away.

"This is her room" I told Asher.

"My... Mother's?" He questioned.

"Yes." It's weird to accept it aloud that he is related to her the way I can never be related.

I walked into the closet and felt the walls with my hands to find the secret compartment hidden there.

Once I felt it, I used the key to open it and pulled out the things that I hoped give me all the answers.

"What is that?" Asher asked me as I hugged it close to my chest.

I looked at him, my eyes full of tears and whispered-

"Cindy's diary"