Chapter 22

"I want to tell you something." Cindy smiled at me as she entered my room. 

It was a few days after I turned eleven. It was just me and Cindy at home today. Nico has gone somewhere to finish a job. 

"What is it?" I asked her sitting up. I was lying down because I felt so tired after a long practice yesterday.

Nico made sure I was trained perfectly. Fighting, shooting, lock picking and many other things. I don't know how this would be useful to me in future.

"What I'm going to tell you, promise you won't talk about it to anyone."

"Even Nico?"

"Even Nico." She nodded.

I was very excited. I loved knowing things other people doesn't know

"Before I married Nico, I had a son."

"A son?"

"Yes. A son. I used to have a boyfriend and it's his son."

"Where is he now?"

"My son? He is with his father."

"Can I meet him?"

"No. That is not possible. I am not allowed to go near him."

"What? Why?"

"My son doesn't know I am his mother. And Nico does not know I have a son. My ex-boyfriend doesn't want me near his son."

"But he is your son too." I said.

"Yes. He is. But not every person is understanding. They will never know what a mother feels when she is separated from her child."

"How old is your son?"

"He will be twelve in a few months."

"Wow! I wish we could meet him. I will be happy to have a friend."

"I know you will. My sister tells stories about him all the time. I'm do sure you'd love him if you guys meet."

"Really?"

"Yes. And I'm pretty sure you'd be so great together."

I blushed.

It's not everyday that the woman who raised you like a mother comes to your room and tells you that she has a son of the same age group and you guys look together.

"Why are you telling me this no" I asked. I might be young. But I'm not naive.

I know that this is a secret Cindy was trying to hide from her husband. There are chances that I might spill the beans to him. Yet, she tells me. That too now.

"I knew you were smart" she smiles at me. A proud smile that a mother gives her daughter. Moments like this make me forget that Cindy is not my mother and I am not her daughter.

But she made me feel I matter. She made me feel loved. Nico loves me too. I'm sure of that. I'm his best friends' daughter after all. And that's what I will ever be. He cannot and will not love me like a father loves his daughter.

"There are things that happen in people's lives that you can never control." Cindy continued, oblivious to my ranting mind.

"You do mistakes you can't correct. You do things that you regret. But everything you do comes at a price. Sometimes the price might be your own life. I made my choices when I was younger, and now I regret them" she spoke softly.

"One of them involves my ex-boyfriend.
And I know soon enough I am going to pay the price of the things I did. I want to tell you that, no matter what happens, stay strong. I raised you El. Prove that I made you a strong woman. Don't break under the pressure. Don't do things before you think." She warned me.

"And always know that I love you. I am never disappointed in you. Okay? I will always be the mother that did not give birth to you. And one last thing. If you ever meet my son. Tell him I love him. Okay?"

I nodded and looked down at her swollen belly. She was pregnant.

"I can't wait for the baby to be born." I told her.

She did not reply, but gave me a sad smile and placed her palms on her belly and looked towards it.

I suddenly felt something was wrong. Why was she acting so differently? What was she not telling me?

After the realization that she was hiding something from me, I recalled her speech in.my head again.

'No matter what happens, stay strong'

"Cindy? Why does the words you told me sound like a goodbye?" I asked her, fearing the Answer.

She did not reply. But just smiled back.

A sad smile, with unshed tears in her eyes.