Chapter 29

I started with wide eyes at the book in front of me. Asher has been quiet all the time we read the diary.

I can't believe what she wrote. I can't believe Nico killed her. The only person who he loves dearly.

I placed my head in my hands, sighing. Tears are threatening to fall. I don't dare cry.

Asher is yet to speak a word. He just learned that the mother he never met, was killed by her own husband.

Thinking back, was everything an action? Did Nico even love her? How could he kill her when he loves her dearly. How could he do such a thing.

I remember all his words. Everytime he was sad about Cindy's death. Was it all a big action? Is that what anger does to you?

I know she did a mistake by cheating on him. She was already suffering the consequences. She already lost her only son. But knowing her own husband was planning on killing her must have hurt really bad.

Thinking about him made my blood boil in disgust. And knowing that he made me exactly what Cindy didn't want me to become is making my anger grow.

"We need to leave." I told Asher bringing him back to reality. He nodded and got up from the chair he was previously sitting on.

"Let me drive. You are in no state to drive." He said stretching his palm for my car keys. I gave them to him. I really was in no mood to drive.

The drive back to the city was really silent. I knew Asher was deep in thought. The clutching and releasing the steering wheel shows that.

"You said you'll be gone for the whole day" Jake said as soon as he opened the door. I didn't bother reply and pushed my way inside.

"What's wrong? Where have you been?" He asked seeing that I was in no mood to answer him.

"We went back to the house. I needed something." I told him.

"What did you need? You need to tell me clearly, Everett."

"I was searching for a few answers. I knew Cindy has the habit of writing a diary. So I went to search for it."

"So? Did you find it?"

"Yes. I found a key a few years back, which I hid safely. Now I got to use it."

"Did you read the diary?"

"Yes. I did."

"What was in it? Did you find out the answers you were looking for which are for whatever reason found in Cindy's diary?"

"No. I did not find the answers I was looking for. But I did find something."

"What did you find?"

"Did you know that Cindy had a son?"

"No. She didn't have kids. That's what I heard."

"No. She had a son. The son whose existence she was trying hard to hide from her husband."

"Wow. What is the need to hide?"

"Because the son was the result of her cheating on her husband."

"She cheated on Nico?"

"Yes. Almost nineteen years back."

"What's to do with it now? It's almost been two decades. Why bring out the past now?"

"Well, that boy child she gave birth eighteenth years ago happens to be Asher."

"Holy shit."

"Yeah. That's what I thought."

"So? What else did you find?"

"I know that Asher is her son from before. I mean I knew she had a son when I was eleven, but that's another story. I came to know that Asher is Cindy's son that day they put the tracker in him. But what I learned now is Cindy cheating on Nico made him angry. He did not consider confronting her. But-but he decided to do what he thought was the next best thing." I told him the last part with a small voice.

Asher, Tyler and Jake were quiet for a while until Ty spoke-

"Nico killed Cindy?" I nodded.

"But... He couldn't even see her get hurt. How could he kill her?"

"He didn't kill her directly. He paid a few people to kill her and mourned with everyone else."

"I knew he had a stone instead of a heart. But I never thought that place would be a void. How could he kill his wife?" Tyler spoke.

"And I became everything Cindy didn't want me to become." I whispered putting my hands around Asher's neck. He instantly hugged me back.

It took me a few seconds to calm down. It took a few seconds for my brain to actually work.

"This now solves all our questions." I spoke pulling back.

"How?" Asher asked.

"Nico killed his wife because he was angry at her for cheating on him and hiding the fact that she had a son. Seeing that he loved her for the majority part of his life, he probably regrets killing her. Asher is the only reason he wanted her dead. So wants to correct his mistake by killing the reason."

"So you mean he wants to make another mistake?"

"Yup. But I don't think he realized that. He just wants Asher dead because his anger is taking control."

"So why did he not kill him before? It's been almost seven years."

"He has been trying. Asher lived with his dad till he turned fifteen. But once he started high school, Jon Hales wanted his son to have a full on experience. So he sent him to live with Lucy. It is impossible to kill him when he was with Jon. That is because of the tight security.

"Nico has been trying to kill Ash for the past three years, which failed due to Lucy being in the CIA."

"But why did he take this offer to protect him when all he wanted was to kill Asher?"

"This was his chance to come closer to Asher. He knows I trust him and he wanted to take it as his advantage. He wanted to kill Asher when I was distracted."

"So what do we do now?"

I smirked knowing exactly what we have to do next.

"I have a few ideas"